Controller problem

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

adam78

Controller problem

Post by adam78 »

I installed a firmware update on my Shark HD3 with extended bed. Now the controller will not connect to the computer. When a successful connection occurs I immediately receive a message stating that the USB device has failed. I hear one of the stepper motors cycling on and off but the router does not move. The blue, amber, and red lights on the front of the controller also turn off. If I leave the USB plugged in for a period of time the computer periodically indicates that a USB device is plugged in and then unplugged. I need help fixing this issue as all the help files indicate that I have to connect to the computer which is not possible.

Joseph Poirier

Re: Controller problem

Post by Joseph Poirier »

Please contact support@nextwaveautomation.com
and respond with...

What type of controller is it : Shark or Piranha Controller?

Which firmware update did you install?

What Operating System are you using? Win7 works best with the Shark Controller, Win8.1 and above work better with the Piranha controller.

Have you tried a powered USB Hub? A powered USB Hub will generally help as middleware between a PC above Win7 and a Shark Controller, but you should always use a 2.0 or 2.0 eSata USB port, rather than a 3.0 or 2.0 enhanced port. USB 3.0 has a lower startup power requirement and is not backwards compatible with many devices regardless of advertised compatibility (shark controller is not compatible with 3.0 ports). Sometimes you need to have your Device manager open and try various ports before finding one that stays on. On many new laptops one 2.0 port comes along with 2 3.0 ports, so you must ensure you are plugged into the most stable port for your controller. once you find that adding the powered hub between the two will make it even more stable.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

I have been in contact with support@nextwaveautomation.com. I was given direction to uninstall the firmware and attempt to reinstall. I was successful in the uninstall but still have the connectivity problems discussed previously. I am unsure how to conduct the firmware install if I cannot connect to the controller.

To answer your other questions

Shark controller

Windows 10

USB 3.0 without a powered USB hub. I am using a Surface pro 4, which I thought I researched enough to determine that it would be able to operate the controller. I have learned that although it manages well enough I would have been better off buying a dedicated laptop or all in one device. As such there is only one USB port on the Surface. I will try the powered port you recommend to see if that helps with the connectivity problem. I assume those are available at most electronics retailers. Thank you for the assistance.

toolbox1

Post by toolbox1 »

I had the same/similar problem. Found that the pp files were the problem down loaded a new driver and added pp files seems to have taken care of it