Another Trivet

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Another Trivet

Post by bill z »

Recently I bought a band saw and a great re-saw blade for it. For some 20 plus years I have had a rough cut 2 X 4 red oak board just laying around where every once in a while, I would move it out of the way and think that I should make something out of it.

With the re-saw capabilities, I was able to re-saw a foot of it into several ¼ inch thick pieces. Didn’t take much sanding and they were real pretty.

This weekend, while waiting on the Super Bowl, I drew up a folding trivet that I have seen around in a neighbor’s house that my wife commented on. What my wife loves about this trivet is that is stores away real nice and doesn’t take up much space but can accommodate a 10 inch pan.

I didn’t include any love messages that I carved in some of the pieces for her to remember me by. You can do that part on your own.

Sanding was done using both a bench top belt sander and an orbital sander clamped into my vice using 220 grit.

So, I wanted to share my DXF file and some pictures of the finished trivet. The spacing in the DXF between the pieces is 1/6 of an inch. I like my 1/6" single flute end mill, so I do a bunch with it.
8 inchFoldingTrivet.dxf
8InchFoldingTrivet
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Attachments
Folding Trivet
Folding Trivet