Control Panel Update

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DaveT

Control Panel Update

Post by DaveT »

My Control Panel is using V2.1 Build 17. When I check for updates it shows V2.1 Build 22 but a message comes up and says it may not be the latest. Should I download Build 22?

Rando

Re: Control Panel Update

Post by Rando »

Sure....do keep the old installer handy in case something doesn't quite work right. You can always uninstall the new one and go back, and v2.1 is quite stable by now. It's 3.0 that's getting the bulk of loving attention these days ;-).

Hope that helps,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

Can anyone explain the changes from V2.1 Build 17 to V2.1 Build 22?
I've been using Build 17 for quite a while with no issues and from experience I'm a little gun shy to update without knowing what the benefits may be.
Like they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Thanks.
Kevin

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! They seem to be having problems with their updates.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

KevinO wrote:Can anyone explain the changes from V2.1 Build 17 to V2.1 Build 22?
You might want to read this thread starting here. BTW, "Build" available for download is actually 25f - this hasn't changed since the thread I referenced was posted. I'm actually running Build 23.

The controller's update message is and has always been misleading. I believe the text of the message is retrieved from NWA when the controller is loaded and that text hasn't been changed. This fact has always been an irritant but feedback to NWA seems to fall on deaf ears! It's good practice to keep archived copies so one can revert back if needed. :idea:

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Rando wrote:v2.1 is quite stable by now. It's 3.0 that's getting the bulk of loving attention these days ;-).
I think it's maybe a common misconception that v3 is an upgrade to v2.1 - there actually two seperate as far as I know.

v3.x is for the pendant controlled machines including the Piranha and is what comes standard with these units.

v2.x is for the non-pendant machines (one piece controller) and is/was an upgrade from v1.6 that came standard with those machines.

v1.5 is for the non-pendant (two piece controller) machines.

I don't believe either version is functional with the other machine but this of course may change in the future?

:)

P.S. I'll agree with Rando that v3 will likely get the bulk of support going forward. NWA have long talked about an improved user interface for v2 but I think that's likely not in the cards anymore. It would not surprise me if they moved totally to a pendant based controller interface thereby eliminating the issues with using a computer based one!
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando

Post by Rando »

monitoringpost wrote:
Rando wrote: P.S. I'll agree with Rando that v3 will likely get the bulk of support going forward. NWA have long talked about an improved user interface for v2 but I think that's likely not in the cards anymore. It would not surprise me if they moved totally to a pendant based controller interface thereby eliminating the issues with using a computer based one!
That would definitely make me walk away instantly, their machines no longer in contention for any upgrades. With toolpaths in the dozens, all with names on the order of: "s02--2017-012-001 Balancing LCD Mount v1.01.001.018.tap" there is no way that 8.3 file name display is acceptable. Especially when the display clearly has room for a lot more characters. Not my problem they can't read an extended-FAT directory like the rest of the world, but I'll drop their controllers like a rock if they try to force me off actual computers and networking. This is 2017, not 1990. The floppy "network" shuffle ended decades ago, so NO, I'm not willing to replace it with a USB stick. I walk from one room where I update the toolpaths all at once, and into another room where I simply click the Load File button, and the network share, RAID protected and version managed, just appears like it should. A usb stick? They gotta be kidding.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Dan S

Post by Dan S »

Hi All,
I recently upgraded to HD 4 from the old Shark Pro 24x24 (7 years old) very early addition because the unit was not as rigid as I would like. I am very unhappy with the Pendant. The control panel I used was 1.6 and it had more functions then the 3.0 I am trying to use. To jog small increments with the Pendant is not very user friendly. And of also having to reduce file name is not a improvement. If they can't get the 3.0 panel to have all the functions of 2.0 and I have to use USB stick only I will have spent lot of money and not unable to use control panel is a major disappointment. I would like to know if other owners of HD 4 are satisfied with the control panel 3.0.
Dan