CNC and clock building

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cjablonski

Re: CNC and clock building

Post by cjablonski »

Late edit: I see cjablonski ninja'd my response. I also get the "you built it from a kit?" assumption all the time.[/quote]

LOL! Hell, if I didn't get that question at least once for every device I built I wouldn't have a script to follow to answer :) Good to see you still follow the thread K, and as always, you input is valued :)
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

IDBD

Post by IDBD »

cjablonski wrote:Glad you asked! I tend to side heavily on using Clayton Boyer's designs as I have never had one that, with persistence, failed. It's my understanding that not all Internet plans actually work yet every one of his I have built functions extremely well ( and I've built a bunch ) :). A great staring path is his Number 6 clock along with the Simplicity. Both have very few wheels and pinnions ( gears) to deal with therefore minimize fiddling later . Additionally one of them is a unframe construction which makes arbor (rod) hole alignment problems non-existent. Others here (Bob) built the simplicity in very short order and had her running within a few weeks (which all depends on how much time you allocate for it). With whatever you choose I guarantee I will do my best to help as this as a hobby is incredibly satisfying. .....and a bit addictive :) They are absolutely conversation starters, even sometimes debate starters as to whether you built it or not LOL. And don't be surprised when the "Where did you buy the kit from?" question arises :)

I would definitely recommend using baltic birch plywood to begin with for at least the wheels and pinions ( technical term in clock making for gears ). It's stability saves a lot of hair folicals later :). And try to avoid any finish on them too. Guming up the works is not a great thing to do.
But all in all, with whatever you decide to do, in the end the grin is guaranteed to be from ear to ear. ....all the while proving that "wood can do that".........and you can too ;)

Thanks! Such great info.
I'm going to get the plans soon.
Just enjoy reading the long write ups you guys do.
You guys are great!
Look forward to posting my work soon.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Absolutely looking forward to it and welcome aboard! Can't wait to see which one you decide to tackle and don't forget, we're here to help :)
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

The final product below. Not sure what's next, but whatever it is I hope it turns out as well as its predecessor.
Attachments
20170312_082516.jpg
20170312_082247.jpg
20170312_081437.jpg
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

A few more with an added link to a video of crappie quality :)

https://youtu.be/bQmfUW65tIo
Attachments
20170312_081532.jpg
20170312_081653.jpg
20170312_081739.jpg
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

This has been dormant for more than a month.

I want to see what is happening with these clocks.

Regarding my next clock, not much. Many other distractions. I have the wood, the main spring and the other parts, just need to do it.

So show us what has been happening!!.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Well bill, from my side, not much. Unfortunately I have had to be an adult and the hobby has taken a back seat to it. All the clocks I have shown here have been shown in thier completed form with pictures. I hope to re-engage as soon as it slows down a bit. Hope that someone is currently working on one and is willing to share it here as that might just give me the push I need to figure out the next project.
Albert Einstein

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Bill Z

I do understand the many other distractions, I have my share too! But make the time and stop procrastinating, just do it! It will be very hard to get it done from 6 feet under!!! Let those chips FLY!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Ok, so I MIGHT have decided on one. Kinda 50/50 yes or no at this point, but I MIGHT ( can't stress that enough ) go with Claytons Midevil Astronomical Celestial Calendar (or MACC for short ). It's a masochists corner clock of the highest order being his most complex creation. I hope to settle on a decision soon, and if I do, I will post pictures of it through the build. Hope this satisfies the recent lack of posts :)
Albert Einstein

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I completed the last cut for the Journey clock today. Now it's assembly and tinkering to get everything working. Still quite a bit to do, but I'm definitely making progress.