original Shark HD owner - control panel

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tonydude

Re: original Shark HD owner - control panel

Post by tonydude »

Try a different usb cable. Also go back to a different version of the control panel. I have 2 old cnc sharks and have not upgraded the control panel at all. I'm using a laptop with xp windows on one and the other is a vista windows. People have had bad communication with windows 10. Control panel software V3.0 is for the pendant controlled machines including the Piranha and is what comes standard with these units. Here is updates from nextwave
http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop ... x?recid=26 more info http://help.nextwaveautomation.com/

very interesting read http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 003#p30003

Hope this helps you.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

minoxy

Post by minoxy »

I was thinking of the cable as a possible problem.
I bought and installed a new USB cable with still no contact with the controller.

Rando

Post by Rando »

minoxy wrote:I was thinking of the cable as a possible problem.
I bought and installed a new USB cable with still no contact with the controller.
And let that be a lesson to you all: there IS no "USB cable problem"
I have never once come across a USB cable that was broken in such a way as to be intermittent.
And I've used hundreds of them since they first started coming out.

Sure it's "possible"...but how many people here have ever actually done this, and then used that same cable elsewhere with no problems? Right...nearly everyone. If you have a USB cable that worked yesterday, unless you actually did something egregious to that cable, there is essentially zero chance it has changed.

That so-called "fix" is nothing but a stall tactic used by people who don't know the real source of the problem. Or worse, it's their own systems design that causes the communications error, and it has nothing to do with the cable.

Yes, I'm sure someone (might even be sharkcutup...except he knows the truth too!) will stand and claim this and that, and how could I possibly be so dense...blah blah mofo blah. There's at least two other people on this forum who could even have ever read the USB specification, and I'm one of them. And I'm here to tell you USB don't work that way. If there is a communications problem, then it's a software issue. The probability that the issue has to do with a cable that worked fine yesterday (and works fine elsewhere today) is so vanishingly small that even if that WERE the problem, it's not the cable's fault!

Thom
Last edited by Rando on Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Yes, I'm sure someone (likely sharkcutup) will stand tall and claim this and that, and how could I possibly be so dense...blah blah mofo blah. There's two people on this forum who could even have ever read the USB specification, and I'm one of them. And I'm here to tell you USB don't work that way. If there is a communications problem, then it's a software issue. The probability that the issue has to do with a cable that worked fine yesterday (and works fine elsewhere today) is so vanishingly small that even if that WERE the problem, it's not the cable's fault!
Not in this life Rando! :o

I am 100% with you on this one. I have used many USB cables (powered and un-powered) and have never had situations like i have been reading on this forum.

Oh and fyi I have read the USB specification and as you have said
it's not the cable's fault!
I totally agree!

Have a Great DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rando

Post by Rando »

sharkcutup wrote:
Not in this life Rando! :o
Duly noted, and aspersions corrected, thanks :D

minoxy

Post by minoxy »

As I thought, the cable.

I took off the cable to my HP Printer and swapped it with the cable to the shark HD.

The Shark works!
and
The printer works.

Strange.

Rando

Post by Rando »

And if you swap them back, they likely both still work too...