Original Shark modifications

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kayvon

Original Shark modifications

Post by Kayvon »

I own an older original CNC Shark, not the newer HD models. I'm curious what modifications or enhancements others have made for this model. I know the Dixie Billet clamp is a popular change, though I haven't had my original clamp break down yet so I should be okay until it does.

rungemach

Re: Original Shark modifications

Post by rungemach »

If you are looking for modifications to increase strength and get some of the flexing out of your older shark, this thread may be of interest to you.
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1342

you can also use the forum search function for things like clamps and tabletop modifications.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Thanks, Bob. That's an interesting thread with some great pictures. I don't have the Pro, of course, so it's a little harder to determine exactly what's being upgraded in the photos. Still, the concepts could be applied to the old Shark as well.

I'm starting to suspect that I'm on of the very few old Shark owners. Maybe I should have jumped for a larger model when I first bought.

Bob

Post by Bob »

On the other end of the spectrum...I also have one of the original Sharks. It has always met my needs, and I am able make what I want. When my old mount started to crack, I made a new one. I have a cnc after all.
While it would be fun to have a bigger and better cnc someday, I'm happy with what I have.
As a teacher, and as a retired teacher, I have learned to work with what I have...and do quite well at the same time.

So, my question for you is: Does your machine do what you want. If so, don't worry about it. Just enjoy it.
Also, what needs are not being met by your machine?

The other Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Those are good questions. Also, you're the only other guy I know of with the original Shark. :)

My Shark currently does everything I want, though I'm getting close its limits with some projects. I cut a 12" gear that required almost the entire 13" width of the machine. I've cut longer pieces in segments using the feed-through technique, but the precision required on gears likely wouldn't permit that if I needed it.

Additionally, I have a few enhancements that wouldn't work with a different machine like my drag big and your 4th axis. (Yes, finally completed the 4th axis build, but I haven't tested or tweaked it yet. I'll get some pics up in the thread when I get it going.) From that point of view, I don't need a new machine by any stretch. But it's still fun and fulfilling to modify and improve what I'm using, especially if others have found simple modifications that make big improvements.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I also have the original white shark and a extended bed mako shark, and they both run great. On the white shark I changed the mdf bed to 6040 which is a lot better. I use the original mostly for doing lithophanes.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

jonquilmusic

Post by jonquilmusic »

I have a CNC SHARK PRO that I bought in 2007. I "upgraded" by installing a "Smooth Stepper" interface between my PC running MACH3, and the mill. (I posted about it today!) I did it a year ago, and it was so seamless, that I forgot that I did it!

My machine ran via the parallel port, and the new computers have power/interrupt issues that elicit NASTY noises from the steppers, and is just unusable!

By the way, I'm still using a ROTOZIP as the power-plant, so I go through bits like candy! I made a mount with my 3D printer (FlashForge Creator Pro) for a Skil 1830 2-1/4 router. It works, but the router is so darned heavy that it flexes the gantry, so that's a "No-Go."

I'm researching to upgrade to a spindle. I'd like to move into some REAL speeds & Feeds. Keeping in mind that I'm going to be going 100ipm with a 1/4" single-flute carbide bit through MDF, 8000 RPM is about the sweet spot for a 0.013 chip load in MDF, and gives me a 0.0065 chipload in Hardwood with a Double Flute bit. What kind of power - in Hp or Kw - do I really need to accomplish that? Seems like 1.5 Kw is overkill, but 500W is underpowered. Weight of Spindle is an issue, due to the flex of the gantry/Zaxis carriage, so I'd like to get the minimum I can get away with for the work to be done.

I'd like to move into REAL CNC machining instead of just winging it for my prototypes!

jonquilmusic

Post by jonquilmusic »

Here's a mod for a new plate for the ROTO-ZIP equipped Sharks to accept a 500 Watt Spindle:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2562277
It also has a file for a manual Stepper Motor Handle