Best way to carve or engrave small letters

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

CyberBiker

Best way to carve or engrave small letters

Post by CyberBiker »

Would like to add a small area on projects that gives origin & date of the project. Have tried V-Carving 1/8-5/32" letters in Arial & others with lousy results.
Suggestions about how to do something like a "made by me" engraving that is small but readable would be appreciated

Thanks,
David H. Deitrick
dhdeitrick@mac.com
Dave
CNC Shark HD Extended
VCarve 9.0

Kayvon

Re: Best way to carve or engrave small letters

Post by Kayvon »

What type of V-bit are you using? I'd expect fuzzier results with a 90-degree bit, but I'll bet a 60- or even 30-degree bit gives you sharper results. You might even use the line fonts if you use the 30-degree V bit.

CyberBiker

Post by CyberBiker »

I have tried both 60° & 90°bits. don't currently have access to 30 degree bits. What and where do I find line fonts?

thanks
Dave
dhdeitrick@mac.com
Dave
CNC Shark HD Extended
VCarve 9.0

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

When you're selecting the font in VCarve/Aspire, there's an option (a pull-down? I'm going from memory here) to toggle between full-vectored fonts and simple line fonts. The line fonts are typically used when engraving with a drag bit, but they'd be a good option here since you're doing something similar by attempting to just scratch the surface.

CyberBiker

Post by CyberBiker »

Thanks, will give line fonts a try.

Dave
Dave
CNC Shark HD Extended
VCarve 9.0

TAW

Post by TAW »

I use a 11 degree liner bit- looks like a sharpened pencil end. works good.

CyberBiker

Post by CyberBiker »

Sorry, but I am really new at this. Probably missing a step in the software somewhere.

Tried the line fonts, but when I went to create a tool path, software reported hundreds of incomplete vectors that it ignored, resulting in no text being printed in the 3D render using VCarve Pro 9.0.

Any idea what I am not doing correctly?

Thanks
Dave
CNC Shark HD Extended
VCarve 9.0

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

It's probably your toolpath creation. When you create a toolpath for line engravings, you want it to trace on the line, not around it. Make sure you're not using a pocket path, then change the radio button from "outside" to "on" and try again.

The lines don't form a closed vector, so VCarve gets confused when you're telling it to trace around or inside the lines.

Greggsworkshop

Post by Greggsworkshop »

I'm new at this but what I am using for small fonts is a tapered ball nose bit 4.8 deg and it comes out great.

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

CyberBiker wrote:Sorry, but I am really new at this. Probably missing a step in the software somewhere.

Tried the line fonts, but when I went to create a tool path, software reported hundreds of incomplete vectors that it ignored, resulting in no text being printed in the 3D render using VCarve Pro 9.0.

Any idea what I am not doing correctly?

Thanks
When I do similar carvings, I often use the line fonts. I do not use vcarve for the tool path. I create a profile tool path and set the depth of cut I desire. Works great.
Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.