COntroller won't connect

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Viper500

COntroller won't connect

Post by Viper500 »

Windows updated this evening and since then I have not been able to connect the controller. I have an HD3 running what I think is control panel version 2.1. Can't determine because there is no offline version to check. Running Windows 10. If the USB is plugged in and I turn on the controller I get sounds that indicating it is connected and then almost immediately I get a couple of down notes indicating that it didn't connect. If I try to run the control panel it gives me a message that says I need to turn it on first. Rebooting doesn't help. I have tried all the USB ports on my PC. I have seen this before but it has never been this bad before. I am dead in the water at the moment. How do I diagnose what is wrong? Thanks.

Barry Anderson

Re: COntroller won't connect

Post by Barry Anderson »

I have had the same problem with a couple of different laptops. My computer guy says it is most likely the USB connector not being as tight as it needs to be. I have one laptop that I have no problem with on one machine. And a new laptop that gives me the same problem on a 2nd machine. I usually get it connected by unplugging the USB connector and plugging it back in. Sometimes it takes multiple tries.

Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

Viper500

Re: Controller won't connect

Post by Viper500 »

Update. I searched the support web site and FAQs last night and found a reference to underpowered PC USB ports causing the controller to not connect. I have been using the same port on my PC to connect to the controller since I got the Shark over a year ago so this didn't seem to be the problem to me, but to rule out issues with the USB power I bought a powered USB hub today and tried it and it connected the first time. I had also tried a new USB cable last night and it didn't connect but today when I tried the old cable and the powered hub it wouldn't work. It looks like I had two issues causing my problem: underpowered USB ports and a bad cable. It just happened to coincide with a Windows update which sent me down the wrong road. Who knows. Maybe this update did something to the power management of the USB ports. All I can say is that it works.