Importing Clip Art

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rrsnith

Importing Clip Art

Post by rrsnith »

I have downloaded clip art from the web to the desktop but I can't send it to the clip art file of the drawing section. Can someone walk me through this from the beginning? I know this should be easy but not for me ...! :roll:

Kayvon

Re: Importing Clip Art

Post by Kayvon »

I believe the Clip Art tab in VCarve is only for art purchased from Vectric directly. It doesn't sound like that's what you downloaded, but if it is you should just need to run the installed.

If you have other clip art, you can still use it, but it won't show in the tab (or, at least, I don't know of a simple way to make it show there automatically like it does with the Vectric installer--I'm sure you could finagle it with some computer savvy, but I don't have VCarve on this machine to play around with that). You just need to import the specific clip into your project. Depending on the format, this can be as easy as a drag-drop into the VCarve window.

rrsnith

Post by rrsnith »

Thanks

rrsnith

Post by rrsnith »

I was able to drag the clip art into my project but it doesn't recognize it when I get to the tool path section, it shows it blank section where the clip art is supposed to be. Do I have to give the clip art its own special tool path and if so how is that done. I thought the tool path would recognize everything on the drawing with all vectors highlighted.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

What's the format of your clip art? You've provided so little detail that it's a little difficult to give advice.

If your clipart is just and image then it doesn't contain any vectors. You'll need to use the conversion tool within VCarve to create vectors using the image. If you are, in fact, importing vectors (.dxf file type, perhaps?), then I would expect those to manifest as vectors.

Please provide more details. What sort of clipart are you using? What filetypes? What does it look like when you import it (post a screenshot)? Anything else you can show will get you clearer, faster answers.

rrsnith

Post by rrsnith »

It was a PNG image format?
What format is compatible with Vcarve?
How do I convert the image?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

A PNG file is an image file, not a vector file. VCarve supports most filetypes that make sense for CNC use, but remember that you're not giving it vectors, you're giving it a picture. When you drag the picture into VCarve, it shows up (or, at least it should!) as an image atop your design.

What you need to do next create vectors using the image. VCarve has a tool, the Fit Vectors to Bitmap tool, that makes this very easy. Aspire has an additional tool, called the Create a component from selected bitmap tool, that creates a 3d component. They're both very easy to use.

I'll suggest two things for you to do:
1) Watch a video example of the tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudEeCEgcQU
2) Skim over the VCarve/Aspire manual to see what tools are available. You can find this manual by pressing F1 from the VCarve window, which will open a separate pdf file. It has instructions for this tool and every other tool. It's extremely helpful--I still go through it from time to time.

rrsnith

Post by rrsnith »

Thanks so much, you have been very helpful, I'll let you know how it goes.