Extreme laser woes

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Saliskor

Extreme laser woes

Post by Saliskor »

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the laser attachment for my HDand I'm having a terrible time of it; to the point where I basically bricked my controller and could not even run normal carving jobs.

I use aspire 8.5 and I've noticed that the pp files seem to be piranha centric, which may be contributing to the issue.

The physical install was straight forward although the diagrams were close but not exact accurate. I have tried both the new cnc program 1.0 and more recent 3.0. After install the firmware was updated on the controller and it appears that the firmware is the problem. After the install, I was able to jog, but when I run a job, everything dies, and the system is completely unresponsive until I restart everything.

I was able to reclaim my system by reinstalling control panel 2.0 and restore an older version of firmware (2083) so I'm back up and running with the hardware installed.

Email to support is going unanswered, and I've never been able to reach support via phone

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Saliskor

Re: Extreme laser woes

Post by Saliskor »

Well, I've made some progress. By posting a similar post in the next wave automation forum, I've finally gotten a reply from the company and have been working through the issues. Turns out if you install just the right software and proceed through a very careful sequence, things begin to operate. With help from someone I assume is from the company, I've progressed to the point where the system now loads and appears to run the tap file for the laser.

The only issue now is the laser does not actually turn on. I've discovered the key lock - a safety for the laser, is physically broken. The pressure fitted piece at the back of the inexpensive tubular lock has come apart and there is no electrical connection. Through a posting in the forum, I'm hoping that the company will either allow me to have it fixed locally without voiding the warranty, or request I return it for repair.

wilsond

Post by wilsond »

I could not get the laser to fire in the test mode nor when running a laser tap file. It occurred to me that the physical keys to the laser were included for a reason. When you are ready to run the laser test or a laser tap file, the key must be inserted at the back of the laser module and must be turned to the ON position. When in the ON position, the key cannot be removed. That way, someone cannot run the laser without the key. This is not only a safety feature, it makes test runs possible to determine if the X Y movements of the CNC are correct to satisfactorily run your laser tap file.

Saliskor

Post by Saliskor »

Well, I'm finally up and running. I've completed my first laser etching. Next Wave shipped me the broken part and in five minutes I was making the first cut.

Now I have to try a photo, but since Aspire doesn't seem to include the ability to cut a picture, I'm trying to do it with photo v carve.

Madmacster1

Post by Madmacster1 »

did you have the procedure i am in the same situation thanks

Rando

Post by Rando »

wilsond wrote:I could not get the laser to fire in the test mode nor when running a laser tap file. It occurred to me that the physical keys to the laser were included for a reason. When you are ready to run the laser test or a laser tap file, the key must be inserted at the back of the laser module and must be turned to the ON position. When in the ON position, the key cannot be removed. That way, someone cannot run the laser without the key. This is not only a safety feature, it makes test runs possible to determine if the X Y movements of the CNC are correct to satisfactorily run your laser tap file.
The way that key-switch operates is straight out of the FDA regulations (USC CFR 1040.2), as one of several required safety devices on Class-IV laser products. If a company doesn't include those, their path to selling the product is a LOT longer and a LOT more lawyer-involved ;-).

Cheers!

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

wilsond

Post by wilsond »

Photo VCarve is not made to use a laser. If you can convert the photo to a bitmap file, you may be able to get a reasonable image with your laser attachment. Just use VCarve or Aspire and keep the details to a minimum.

Grt520

Post by Grt520 »

I purchased a new Shark HD4 in December, received it in January, and got the Laser in February. I set up some laser tests yesterday and today tried to test the laser. NO JOY! In V-Carve Pro v9.0, I have set up some test tool paths, using any bit, setting the RPM to 1000 (100%) at 40 inches per minute. Saved the tool paths using the laser post processor, put on thumb drive and moved to the pendant. I physically performed all of the connections, set the height of the laser, zeroed the axis, loaded the toolpath and started it. It runs the tool path AOK but never fires the laser. The green power light is on the laser control box and the keyswitch is turned to ON position. I see mention of a laser test but don't find any reference to test fire the laser. I have gone through the entire procedure several times with the same results. . . Nothing. Any suggestions welcome. I have been quite frustrated with lack of documentation in getting started using this machine. Vetric software is great, with great tutorials. Nextwave documentation, not so much. What little I have is disjointed and incomplete, with absolutely no continuity. Is there a particular level of firmware that I need to be at to run the laser? I have posted on the Nextwave Support Queue as well. Hope to hear something tomorrow.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Did you read this info from nextwave http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop ... x?recid=43 there r downloads there for your machine.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Grt520

Post by Grt520 »

Thank you Tony. I will see what that is all about.