big_jack

Remote control

Post by big_jack »

Is there any kind of remote control that i can install on the shark pro plus HD

Rando

Re: Remote control

Post by Rando »

big_jack:

I use a (wired) USB numeric keypad, plugged into the PC, as a jog-pad. Others use wireless numeric keypads to similar effect. Yet others have figured out how to map the keys from a gaming controller into the commands for the control panel software.

A huge help in this regard is a second LCD display right over the top of the CNC, that is also a touch-panel. It duplicates the PC's display, so the control panel software is available right there at hand during touch-offs, start/stop, emergency-stops, and so on.

Both are shown in this photo of my setup:
20180309_124844.jpg
Others might have done other things as well.

Hope that gets you pointed in the direction you were looking for.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

big_jack

Post by big_jack »

Thank’s . I do have a touch screen installed at the end of my workbench but îm sure going to look at a way to control the gantry and be able to ajust the router on the corners of my pieces to set everything to zero.

Rando

Post by Rando »

big_jack wrote:Thank’s . I do have a touch screen installed at the end of my workbench but îm sure going to look at a way to control the gantry and be able to ajust the router on the corners of my pieces to set everything to zero.
....to adjust the router on the corners...., For work in wood where initial starting accuracy of +/-0.010" is okay, I added a drill-press laser cross-hairs mounted around the spindle. You can see it with the red knobs in the photo above. Otherwise, I use the mechanical wobbler / clicker style and electronic LED edge-finders fitted in the spindle chuck and spun <1K RPM (!) when working in metal.

If you are thinking about getting away from the router*, when you buy the VFD (variable frequency drive), check to see if the faceplate will come off. On the one I have, it does! And, it takes a simple cat-5 ethernet cable to extend it where ever. You can see I mounted that on/off/speed control on the left side-panel of the gantry. They often don't really mention it except tucked away in the manuals. That way, you can set the speed to 0.1K RPM resolution, you know it's spot on, and you can change it easily from the sidelines if things are going too fast/slow to make a good cut. Here's the one I'm using:

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... vfd-2-2kw/

If you're sticking with the router, and it doesn't have a digital speed control, I love the $13 no-contact, optical tachometer from Amazon or elsewhere. They're awesome because you can see the real RPM you're working at, which gets more important the finer accuracy you're going for 8-) .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D3MKK3

Cheers!

Thom

* I won't pressure you, but moving from router to spindle is a HUGE improvement. Far quieter, much more accurate, less chips blowing everywhere from the downdraft, no brushes to wear out ever, replaceable standard-sized bearings, and so on. In fact, if you dig into that variable-frequency-drive (VFD, a fancy AC power-supply. Something of an expensive wall-wart that takes 220VAC :twisted: ) user manual, you might find you can move the max frequency up to get 30, 36, even 60K RPM. Now you can run a 1/32" end-mill in aluminum at the proper spindle speed! Indeed, the real speed that even an 1/8" bit wants in aluminum is in the 33-36K range...a bit beyond your average router ;-). Anyway, it's a key upgrade you'll be happy every day you use it. But, you didn't hear it from me ;-).

bill z

Post by bill z »

big_jack wrote:Is there any kind of remote control that i can install on the shark pro plus HD

I use a wireless 10 key pad that I found that has arrows for X & Y. Page up and Page Down work the Z axis. The + and - keys allow me to increase or decrease the step rate.

They are less than $15.00.

It allows me to walk around my machine to see angles before zeroing and starting the program.

Just a cheaper suggestion.
Attachments
Wireless 10 Key Pad
Wireless 10 Key Pad

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

I posted about this Mach 3 pendant that works great with our CNC's. Here's the link to the original post. I would never go back to anything else. :geek:
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando

Post by Rando »

monitoringpost wrote:I posted about this Mach 3 pendant that works great with our CNC's. Here's the link to the original post. I would never go back to anything else. :geek:

Craig
Wow...You ARE a :ugeek:

That's cool!

bill z

Post by bill z »

I tried the USB wired device, but there is just something better about wireless when walking around to see if everything is set up right before the cut.