Extended Bed Shark Cage

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Re: Extended Bed Shark Cage

Post by bill z »

For many, a cage isn’t necessary or they just get in the way because their CNC is always working 24/7. However, I am a hobbyist and my shark sits unused for a few weeks, often due to other priorities. For me, a shark tank was a necessity to keep it clean till I used it again. Lets face it, if there is an open table in the work shop, where does the wife and kids put the broken stuff? Then, before cutting, you have to clean off the stuff, fix or toss away things before you can start your next project.

My tank isn’t sophisticated as it could be, but it does manage dust and keeps the table clear. It is great for keeping down the sound also. The tank did make it more difficult to see the cuts, but, I installed one of those USB endoscope cameras so I can watch the cuts.

A few years back I started a thread to see what others had done.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4780

More pictures on request.

My tank, has the windows that open all around (all 4 sides) just in case I need to work on the back side. I split the windows in the middle and hinged both top and bottom section so it is easy to open all 4 windows and none get in the way of each other or in my way. If I had to do it again, I would build it 4 or 5 inches taller. On occasions, the 4" vacuum hose binds on the Z motor.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Here are my pics of my cnc extended bed encloser which was taken a few yrs back. I don't use a dust boot, after carving I just vaccum up the saw dust inside.

Tony
Attachments
DSCN0759.JPG
DSCN0760.JPG
DSCN0756.JPG
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Just my opinion -

I believe a cage around the Shark is a waste of time and resources. I have found that a vacuum system dust boot on a water-cooled spindle equipped CNC machine is more than sufficient. The vacuum system dust boot keeps the dust confined to the areas in which it travels. What little the vacuum does not tend to suck up you can vacuum up manually. As for sound/noise the spindle is rather quite. The spindle does not make a whole lot of noise itself. It is not until the router bit does heavy cutting that it makes a lot of noise.

Of course for those who cannot afford the expense of a water-cooled spindle than the noise can be very annoying. If it was me I would create a few projects to sell so that could afford that expense!!!

Again this is just my preference/opinion!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554