shark hd4 problem

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jamespotter

shark hd4 problem

Post by jamespotter »

Hi,

I purchased cnc machine in march barely use it, have baby on my hands.
first time it cut perfectly, i did three simple projects.
but the last time when i tried to cut, it cut my board through, right in the middle, but the rest of the project it didnt cut at all.
today i tried again. i bought dust boot, thought maybe its gonna help.
but somehow, after i set up virtual zero, and start router it cut three holes, and then it started drill in the air above the board about 1/2 inch higher.
whats the issue it could be?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5631

Thanks

Kayvon

Re: shark hd4 problem

Post by Kayvon »

I suspect the gcode you're using may be at fault. Let's simplify things a bit to find out for sure.

For starters, remove the dust boot and the bit. If you have one, use a short drinking straw or coffee stirrer instead of the bit and keep the router/spindle off for now. This will minimize further damage to the machine. Skip virtual zero and supply your own zero, then start the project "cutting" empty air. Observe what the machine does... does it drill in where you expect it to, or is it trying to cut above your imaginary workpiece?

You mentioned the first couple projects worked fine, which is why I suspect the third project file is at fault. If you find it's only occurring with the third file, try just a small portion of the third file and see if you can reproduce the failure with the minimum amount of cutting. Pay special attention to the VCarve/Aspire settings: where is the origin point on the material?

Good luck. Troubleshooting can be a gradual process at times.

NL7U

Post by NL7U »

I don't have a Shark (Piranha here), but would a loose in the mount router be partly to blame?

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I've heard that the brushes are too stiff and it's causing problems with carving, because it doesn't allow the router to fully lower.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

TD On The Hill

Post by TD On The Hill »

I had some unexpected results at first using the wrong post processor. Was using the generic post processor and it worked sometimes and had unexpected results other times. Make sure you're using the one specifically for Shark CNC.