Getting bits out of water-cooled spindle

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TD On The Hill

Getting bits out of water-cooled spindle

Post by TD On The Hill »

Hi friends,

Any secrets to removing bits from the spindle? I loosen the collet, but the internal part stays tight. I'm using the correct collet insert, 1/4" for 1/4" bits. Getting the bit out tends to require more encouragement (with more accidental finger slices) than I'd like. I want to avoid marring any surfaces, and I also want to avoid moving the spindle out of position during bit changes. Other than using gloves and prying it out with other tools, does anyone have a good method? Has anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

I'm using the Shark HD4 extended with water-cooled spindle.

Barry Anderson

Re: Getting bits out of water-cooled spindle

Post by Barry Anderson »

When I first got my water cooled spindle from NWA, I had the same problem. I would have to force the bits out. I wound up buying another collett. It has made life much easier. Still use the original one from time to time.
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

henry raymond

Post by henry raymond »

I am having the same issue.

TD On The Hill

Post by TD On The Hill »

I will be buying another collet. Which one did you buy?

My workaround: I noticed when taking the tightening nut off, that the collet seems to sit at a slight angle. Some gentle tapping on the shaft of the bit on the high side (the part of the collet that is further into spindle) helps it release.

Thanks!

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

It has been a couple of years so I can't remember I ordered it through my local woodworking tool/supply store.
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

rbuckner

Post by rbuckner »

already a very helpful group. I was about to post this question

Queueyou

Post by Queueyou »

I found that the collet that was installed in the spindle LOOKED like it was a 1/4 inch, but it was not. Yes you can fight and get a 1/4" in there, but inside the box with the spindle was a 1/8 and a 1/4 labelled in tiny little boxes. I changed to the one labelled 1/4" and my bits now fit exactly like they should with zero issue. The one that was in there originally looked right, but when comparing to the 1/4", it seems a little thicker on the metal.

Superwrench

Post by Superwrench »

My original collet was marked with a "6", 6mm?? I took it out and installed the 1/4" marked collet.