engraving large plastic laminate pieces

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TD On The Hill

engraving large plastic laminate pieces

Post by TD On The Hill »

Hi,

We're going to be making large 4" x 36" laminate pieces with names engraved on them to slide into signs, etc. You know what I'm talking about. It's like name badge material; white plastic with a thin layer of red on top. Any suggestions on best bits and speeds and feeds to use? I did a sample piece and it's a mess around the edges. Maybe my feed is too fast?

Kayvon

Re: engraving large plastic laminate pieces

Post by Kayvon »

Have you tried a V bit, maybe 90 degrees, with low RPM? I've spent enough time looking at the nametag to my cubicle that I'm convinced it was made similar to this.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I've moved to bits from ToolsToday for plastic work. Depending on your machine, you may want to slow it down a bit as well. A 'wood bit' doesn't seem to cut as cleanly as it's not necessarily designed for this material.

cconway

Post by cconway »

I have been doing this myself recently and after trial and error I found the best thing to use where the bits actually made for doing this type of work. I tried V bits and engraving bits, but they don't give the right look. Also best to use single line fonts. I got my plastic from a company called bfplasticsinc.com. They are great and I was able to order bits from them custom cut the the length I wanted which was 3" for about $16 a bit. The person to speak with there is Andy. I have included a picture of some of the bits and a few name tags I did as examples.
Attachments
IMG_20180907_122737.jpg
IMG_20181016_110813.jpg
Charlie Conway