Help with Nextwave Chess Set

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mcsteve

Help with Nextwave Chess Set

Post by mcsteve »

I have been working on setting up the chess set project from Nextwave and have run into a few "challenges" in the way the project is executed. Specifically when I try to machine side 2 of the pieces. When watching the videos and reading the documentation, based on how I understand the information presented, I feel there are some gaps in the information presented.

Has anyone actually created this entire project and would you be willing to discuss it with me? I have some questions that I am not sure are related to the documentation or how I am executing the steps. I'd like to call someone to discuss it one-on-one to see where I am going wrong as I believe my challenges are likely related to my own errors or understanding in the project. I am using VCarve Pro 9.512 (latest) and a Shark HD Pro.

For example. when switching to side 2, I zero out to the spoil board but the bit then rams into the work piece when I run the program. I switched to recalculating all toolpaths to the top of the side 2 surface but the cut is offset slightly along the Y and the 3D image does not form correctly (probably due to a slight misalignment on my part).

Thanks for any help.

Steve
CNC Shark Pro Plus - 12/2014
VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D
ViaCAD 3D, AutoCAD, Sketchup
BobCAD V28

WNC_Ed

Re: Help with Nextwave Chess Set

Post by WNC_Ed »

Sorry, I haven't previously seen or done this project.
But two first quick troubleshooting questions are:
1) Are you using the dowel pins to align side two or just the jig?
2) Is the actual wood thickness the same as the project set up thickness?
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Hi Ed and thanks for the reply. I am using the dowel pins for alignment but in retrospect the alignment along the Y was likely caused by my switch to maintaining the surface of the block as the reference part way through the process as well as the impact that resulted when the workpiece was impacted by the router moving along X to the start position. I have cut and planed the work pieces to the exact thickness specified in the project plan (1.78 x 2.5 x 8).

The question that is left is how do I retain the initial side as the zero for Z (spoilboard surface when switching to side 2) and have the router retract to the appropriate height without ramming into the work piece.

Sorry, I have experimented with a few 2 sided projects (simple models) but still don’t know if I have fully understood the complete process. My dolphin project from the Vectric 2 sided tutorial turned out very nice so I thought I had this.

Steve
BobCAD V28

WNC_Ed

Post by WNC_Ed »

Steve,
Just wondering, are you manually raising the bit after you zero it to the spoilboard?
I finally got a chance to look at the file in Aspire. Your project height is 1.78 inches. Typically after zeroing with the plate the Z raises to about .625 on it's own, if you are zeroing close to the side of the project I could see it whacking into the project trying to move to it's start position. If you are manually raising it above the project and it is dropping on it's way to the start position then that is a whole different thing.
Hope this helps.
Ed
Attachments
setup.png
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Thanks for looking at this Ed as well as for the feedback. I’ll try another run at this tomorrow so I will move the fixture to the far side of the table and zero at the opposite side to see if this makes a difference. I’ll also try raising the tool above the workpiece to see if that helps. If this works it will definitely be better that trying to rework the pieces completely.

Also, I had planned to make one set from white oak but they really take a lot of cleanup and are not easy on the tooling. I’ll be trying some maple tomorrow as well to see if it cleans up better.

Steve
BobCAD V28

WNC_Ed

Post by WNC_Ed »

Steve,
Fingers crossed for ya.
Please share pictures when you get some done.
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust