Shark Pro Plus HD (original) help

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gordread

Shark Pro Plus HD (original) help

Post by gordread »

Hey everyone,

I've had this shark for six or seven years, since the HD first came out. It has worked great over the years. Now it is no longer moving in the Y-axis (my X since I changed the cables). It can't seem to turn the screw under the table.

My plan is to strip the top off, and see if there is something stuck, or loose. I've already blown it out, vacuumed it, and lubricated, all to no effect.

I can hear the stepper trying to move the screw, but unless I actually push on the gantry as I press the job button, nothing moves. When I push on the gantry it does move, but makes a terrible sound.

I plan to contact NextWave support once I get it apart and am able to investigate further.

My question to you smart folks is, am I on the right track? Missing something? Anything else I should check out at the same time?

Thanks,

Gordon

Bob

Re: Shark Pro Plus HD (original) help

Post by Bob »

First question...What do you use to lubricate the moving parts?
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

gordread

Post by gordread »

I have a dry silicon spray that I've used since I bought the machine 6+ years ago.

Bob

Post by Bob »

I was curious, because I tried Teflon spray a few years ago. It was so thick that it jammed the lead screw. Does the stepper move if you disconnect the coupler. Does the screw turn by hand after the coupler is disconnected. If the screw still does not turn, check the bearing at the end, and the plastic nut that rides on the screw.
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

gordread

Post by gordread »

So I got it working again. It seems to be a connection issue.

I had the controller pressed right up against the wall so the connection wires coming out in the back were bent (for years) at a sharp angle. As soon as I pulled the controller off of the shelf, and switched the x and y axis I was able to move in both directions. I switched them back and they both still worked. As soon as I put the controller back up on the shelf the 'x' axis stopped working again.

I pulled the controller off of the shelf and it started working. So I extended the shelf, now the wires don't have to bend immediately coming off of the connection to the controller. I ran the machine all day and had no issues.

It really acted like a mechanical issue, like it did previously when one of the axis was blocked from moving. But I am 100% convinced now that it was entirely a connection issue.

Very strange. Thank you for reading and for your thoughts.

Gordon

gordread

Post by gordread »

Now unfortunately the issue is happening again, with the cables stretched out (unbent).

I have tried emailing NextWave, so we will see what they have to say. Unfortunately they do not have phone call support on weekends, and I'm typically not in my shop when their support is open. :(

Gordon

gordread

Post by gordread »

Well, shipped off the controller to NextWave so I will be out of commission for the better part of a month. Maybe more depending on how long it takes to ship and then test/fix it.