UHT OH!

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mikesbeehives

UHT OH!

Post by mikesbeehives »

I was doing a job and my router ran into the clamp that holds down the board. I did not hit the E-switch fast enough and everything shut down. Now it is locked in the position it stopped in and I can't restart it. It is like there is no power to it. Is there a fuse or am I screwed?

Kevink18

Re: UHT OH!

Post by Kevink18 »

There is a fuse. What shark do you have on my hd it is by where the cord plugs in to control box

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

I have not replaced the fuse myself but there are a few posts that explain the process to remove the cover top the CNC box and change the fuse. Either do a search for "fuse" or wait and someone with more experience will chime in. Searching may work faster.
CNC Shark Pro Plus - 12/2014
VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D
ViaCAD 3D, AutoCAD, Sketchup
BobCAD V28

bill z

Post by bill z »

To protect yourself from any future fuse failures, you can install a simple relay. Just search this forum for 'RELAY' and you will find it mentioned a bunch of times.Here is one http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... lay#p28339

With a relay, you can turn all sorts of things with the controller. Mine turns on my router, my dust collector and some lights so I can watch the machine better.

Good luck.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

bill z wrote:To protect yourself from any future fuse failures, you can install a simple relay. Just search this forum for 'RELAY' and you will find it mentioned a bunch of times.Here is one http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... lay#p28339

With a relay, you can turn all sorts of things with the controller. Mine turns on my router, my dust collector and some lights so I can watch the machine better.

Good luck.
Bill
Are you using multiple relays or one relay that turns on all three things at the same time? From this and the post you linked it looks like one relay. I just wanted to make sure.
Shark HD4 Extended Bed, Water Cooled Spindle. VCarve Pro 10.5
Maker of many chips

Bob

Post by Bob »

mikesbeehives wrote:I was doing a job and my router ran into the clamp that holds down the board. I did not hit the E-switch fast enough and everything shut down. Now it is locked in the position it stopped in and I can't restart it. It is like there is no power to it. Is there a fuse or am I screwed?
Mike
Did you get re-started yet?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

bill z

Post by bill z »

I used 1 relay rated at 30 amps. That goes to two house type outlets in a double gang box. With this set up, I can add whatever needed. Actually, the only things I have needed to use in the past 5 years was the vacuum and lights.

I do have to make sure I plug it all into at least a 20 amp circuit. Once I plugged it into a 15 amp circuit and when the program started running, the breaker tripped and everything stopped.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

bill z wrote:I used 1 relay rated at 30 amps. That goes to two house type outlets in a double gang box. With this set up, I can add whatever needed. Actually, the only things I have needed to use in the past 5 years was the vacuum and lights.

I do have to make sure I plug it all into at least a 20 amp circuit. Once I plugged it into a 15 amp circuit and when the program started running, the breaker tripped and everything stopped.
Thanks Bill. By any chance do you have any pictures of this?
Maker of many chips

bill z

Post by bill z »

In the link above, there is a diagram. I'll take a picture but most relays are sealed (not much to see).

In the pictures there are 2 male molded end cords. The longer one is the one that comes from a source of power. The shorter one is the one that comes from your CNC controller that you would normally connect your router to. Then, there is the regular outlet plug.

A relay is a common (old school) electromagnetic device that allows a small current and/or voltage to control a much larger current and/or voltage. Like the small thermostat in your house controls your air conditioner.

The CNC controller current is used to switch on the relay and the relay handles the current needed to run up to 30 amps (in this case) of devices.

The relay can be purchased many places like Granger or Amazon. It is called a DPDT 30A 120Volt relay.

The box you put this in is up to you. I have mine hung up out of the way under the table my CNC is sitting on

Hope some of this helps
Attachments
DPDT-Relay
DPDT-Relay
Relay Picture
Relay Picture
Relay Information
Relay Information

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

bill z wrote:In the link above, there is a diagram. I'll take a picture but most relays are sealed (not much to see).

In the pictures there are 2 male molded end cords. The longer one is the one that comes from a source of power. The shorter one is the one that comes from your CNC controller that you would normally connect your router to. Then, there is the regular outlet plug.

A relay is a common (old school) electromagnetic device that allows a small current and/or voltage to control a much larger current and/or voltage. Like the small thermostat in your house controls your air conditioner.

The CNC controller current is used to switch on the relay and the relay handles the current needed to run up to 30 amps (in this case) of devices.

The relay can be purchased many places like Granger or Amazon. It is called a DPDT 30A 120Volt relay.

The box you put this in is up to you. I have mine hung up out of the way under the table my CNC is sitting on

Hope some of this helps

Bill
Thanks man! The pictures and this description helps.
Maker of many chips