Router will not power on. Why?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Eagle55

Re: Router will not power on. Why?

Post by Eagle55 »

The suggestion earlier in the thread is the more likely villain. I forget the model numbers now that there is a problem with. I know I used the P/C 690 router (actually 2 of them) for a couple of years. I did change to one of the better models of P/C a year or two ago. Both of which may not benefit from the excellent quality of Precise Bits collets any more because of the production changes that let the quality of the shaft drop to the quality of the factory collet. I was lucky and my model (832 maybe) was one before the date that they slipped the quality down the drain. I would be looking at the model you have. Certain types of solid state speed controls have a problem with solid state relay that the Shark uses. I'm sure you can find something in a good search cause I found it a couple years back. What model of P/C router do you have.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Creekwood

Post by Creekwood »

Kayvon wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 am
Does the router start up when you plug it into a standard outlet, rather than the control panel?

If not, you have a router problem, of course, and maybe need to replace the brushes.

If it does start up in a standard outlet, you have either a control panel problem or a G-code problem. Open the .tap g-code in a file editor (rename it to .txt and use notepad if you don't have anything else) and verify it contains the command M3 or M03 towards the top. If that command is missing, it's likely a post processor problem. If the command is present, the control panel's relay isn't working. Could be a loose wire or a bad relay.
Thank you I will try this, I will work on it later today

Creekwood

Post by Creekwood »

BobA wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 am
Plug into control panel is correct. You must turn switch on top of router. When run is activated return starts automatically. I always turn the router switch off when I change tool on router. Make sure you always turn router on before you activate run.
Thank you yes the router runs on its own

Creekwood

Post by Creekwood »

BobA wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 am
Plug into control panel is correct. You must turn switch on top of router. When run is activated return starts automatically. I always turn the router switch off when I change tool on router. Make sure you always turn router on before you activate run.
I understand, and checked this out the router switch is on

Creekwood

Post by Creekwood »

WoodEraser wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:51 pm
Some Porter Cable's are not compatible with controller to turn on/off.
Check spec it will tell you what models.
I will check the model, but it is a Bosch

Creekwood

Post by Creekwood »

Rando wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 am
You know, one other thing that's **possible** but not as likely, is that the solid-state relay inside the controller somehow got fried. They're not very expensive, maybe $10 on Amazon, but your warranty situation might determine your course of action. The problem is, if that IS the problem, there's not a lot of things you can check that are any different than plugging in your router.

Wait just a minute...have you lately tried plugging in the router to a separate, regular (non-switched) plug to see if it still works? I wonder if the router maybe blew a fuse/tripped a breaker, but you can't see that because it's around the backside toward the z-axis carriage?

Right...the amazon search link ("20A solid state relay 120v") :D....

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... relay+120v

I seem to recall my controller's SSR going out at one point, 'cause I have an "extra" one of them hanging around, and I wouldn't have an extra one unless I had to order a replacement, 'cause I somehow fried the original one. I'll typically buy a spare for the **next** time I fry it :(. At the time I was kinda hacking on the controller box ;-).

Thom
Funny, it worked on the first project fine, I did test the router.

Creekwood

Post by Creekwood »

I think did something wrong creating the latest project. I measured dc voltage/amp coming into the 110vac relay, nothing really, like 1volt, so I am going to start another project again and see if it is me.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Be looking for a bad solder joint also. I had my whole control box go dark one time after using my Shark for about 5 years. Wasn’t a fuse and wasn’t a bad part or bad router. Found the problem to be a cold solder joint either on the fuse holder or ac entry or in that general area. I posted pics of the problem on here at the time. I cleaned the terminal and stripped the wire back and re-soldered the connection and haven’t had any problem again since. Been using it for a total of 9 years now. Also what has been mentioned regarding the solid state relay could be a problem. Question, is this a system that has been running before or is this a new router?? Seems like I have heard or seen of possible problems with routers that have electronic power control in the router not wanting to “play well” with other electronic power controls.... just a thought.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Creekwood

Post by Creekwood »

I first want to truly thank everyone helping me on this. Here is what I have done so far. I open up the main control box, while running the program, I got about 1.5 vdc (if that) to the relay, which says it needs a min of 3vdc to trigger it. I scrapped or deleted the project and started from scratch, a very simple sign. I was able to cut the sign, but I had to by-pass power directly to the router.

The whole CNC is new including the router (Bosch) and computer.

I am thinking that the g-code to start and stop the router is not working. Wish someone had (maybe there is) a simple test program? Also does the g-code to start and stop show up on the pendent display.

BTW I did send Next Wave an email a couple of days ago, but the company maybe shut down for xmas holiday

Again Thank you and happy holidays, I keep reminding myself that I very lucky to have such minuet issues in life

Robert

Rando

Post by Rando »

That's like the easiest there is :D

One thing you find is that the system takes about 35 ms to process even the dumbest command like that,
which means it will only ever be able to process no more than 30 GCode lines per second. It is what it is.

M03 turns it ON (clockwise, but who's quibbling :geek: )
M05 turns it OFF
M02 says program end

If you want to have it do like 1-second switch on/off, the use the G04 Px.xx (in seconds) as a dwell time.
Put a bunch of the M03 and M05 pairs of lines (they need to be on separate lines), using copy-paste in
a text editor, end it all with a M05 and then an M02, save it, run it, and that should cycle it on and off enough
to let you figure out what's up: broken wire, loose connector pin, bad output driver, dead solid-state relay,
etc.

One test to run is to disconnect the control signals to the SSR, and use the 12V power supply...heck, use
a 9V battery :D and see if the SSR is the dead one. Of course, stay within the input limits, which are
normally 3-30VDC. But, check the relay package, to be sure.

I built an entire 10-channel, 200-Amp power-control system that uses that router signal line to send
data to my Arduino-based PilotFish, and so I use files like these all the time:

============================
( PilotFish file for MIST: MIST CH2 ON plus BLOWER CH01 ON )
( BobCAD Mist is mapped to Blower AND Mister)
( pulses 3 )
G04 P0.352
G00
M03
M05
M03
M05
M03
M05
G00
G04 P1.625
G00
( pulses 2 )
G04 P0.352
G00
M03
M05
M03
M05
G00
G04 P1.625
G00
============================
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)