Do I need a Windows computer?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

harpone

Do I need a Windows computer?

Post by harpone »

I am new to CNC and have a Mac, not a PC. I just bought a CNC Barracuda from one of Next Wave's distributors and separately purchased the pendant control from Next Wave. I have had a couple conversations today with New Wave sales in regard to getting a manual explaining the pendant control. In the last conversation I was told I need a Windows computer in addition to the pendant. I am really confused because a customer service rep at one of New Wave's distributors strongly recommended using the pendant control rather than a Windows PC in my small garage work area. I assumed (in error??) the pendant eliminated the need for a Windows PC.

cromag27

Re: Do I need a Windows computer?

Post by cromag27 »

i'm not sure that you would need a pc to operate the pendant. but maybe for firmware updates? their website makes no mention of this so you might have to call back to clarify.

cobra427

Post by cobra427 »

You will need a PC to design and store your files. Once you have done that you can put them on the pendant and cut whatever project you have designed. You do not need a pc to run your job that will all be done from the pendant. You can go to the Next Wave site and choose forums and you can download the set up instructions from there that explains in detail how to use the pendant. Hope this helps.

BillConroy

Post by BillConroy »

I have a Mac and use Parallels (a vm) to run Windows on the Mac. Windows is required to run the VCarve or Aspire software. Once the design is done the tap files are saved to a usb drive to connect to the pendant.

harpone

Post by harpone »

cobra427 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:58 pm
You will need a PC to design and store your files. Once you have done that you can put them on the pendant and cut whatever project you have designed. You do not need a pc to run your job that will all be done from the pendant. You can go to the Next Wave site and choose forums and you can download the set up instructions from there that explains in detail how to use the pendant. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice......I was wondering where to get the instructions for the pendant.

harpone

Post by harpone »

BillConroy wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 pm
I have a Mac and use Parallels (a vm) to run Windows on the Mac. Windows is required to run the VCarve or Aspire software. Once the design is done the tap files are saved to a usb drive to connect to the pendant.
.Thanks for your input. I talked to Next Wave tech service earlier this week and was advised using a P C would be a simpler route. If I were more confident of my computer skills I would have tried the Parallels route on my iMac. I scrounged an unused laptop from my sister and upgraded it to Windows 10. Now to the learning curve..........

Rando

Post by Rando »

harpone wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:02 pm
BillConroy wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 pm
.Thanks for your input. I talked to Next Wave tech service earlier this week and was advised using a P C would be a simpler route. If I were more confident of my computer skills I would have tried the Parallels route on my iMac. I scrounged an unused laptop from my sister and upgraded it to Windows 10. Now to the learning curve..........
Be careful...you drink that Kool-Aid too long, you might start to like it. We have both Red and Green flavors here in the land of Winturds. :mrgreen:
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

BillConroy

Post by BillConroy »

Unfortunately I'm a tech consultant. I need to be able to have whatever configuration client has, so... I run parallels and have Mac os, Windows and 2 variants of Linux on machine. Makes life pretty crazy but I am capable of running pretty much anything.