military clip art

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

macl212

military clip art

Post by macl212 »

Looking to make a few plaques for a few active duty military friends. Where can I find any templates, clip art, or vector art that Vcarve pro can use? Has anyone cut these type of things before? Looking for a place to buy, download the needed files. Thank you for any info you can provide :D

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: military clip art

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi,

Both VectorArt3D - http://www.vectorart3d.com/ - and VectorClip3D - https://www.vectorclip3d.com/ - have some nice 3D models. The purchase options at VectroClip3D are more oriented toward a subscription. I have found it a pretty cost effective way to build up a 3D model library. The VectroArt3D models can be purchased individually, with some nice discounts at different price points. I've found both vendors' models to be well worth the purchase.

You can also try your hand at gray scale machining - some excellent posts on this on the Vectric forum. This would enable you to use some forms of clip art in a 3D fashion.

Good luck - look forward to some posts in the gallery on your projects.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Those would be my choices for 3d models, but you may also be interested in using 2d clip art common on the internet that could be traced if you are not trying to achieve the 3d effect. I have done some clip art tracing that turn out reasonably nice. What kind of military clip art are you looking for? ie Military branch icons or tanks or soldier etc ?

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

macl212

Post by macl212 »

Looking for army skill badges, EIB,CIB JUMP WINGS, UNIT PATCHES, stuff like that.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Here are a couple of clip art pieces that I found in just a few minutes of looking on the internet. The trick is to get a good clean image to trace. Given a relatively good image as one of these was, you can come up with a decent 2d carving. The cleaner the image, the higher quality the carving will be. This will give you an idea of of what you can do cheaply. The 3d models that are available for purchase are really nice, just depending on what you want to accomplish. Many times a good quality 2d image that you can carve quickly can be used very effectively in a design where the extensive carving time of a 3d image might be cost prohibitive. Depends on the customer and the depth of their pockets. :)

Roger
Attachments
Military Badge A.bmp
Jump Badge Carving.bmp

macl212

Post by macl212 »

That is what I was looking for. Where did you find them? I must be putting the wrong info for my searches. Did you look for military DXF files? or clip art? Thank you very much for the info, time to get back on the net and start looking again!! :D

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I think that I did a search for something like Army or Military Skill Badges clip art or something like that. I was using your key words. You can do the same for all the various branches and specific badges or awards. To do the 2d engraving versus the 3d, all you need is clip art. Like I say there is all kinds of stuff out there, some suitable for tracing in the VCarve program and some less suitable. You just have to search and sort, but as I say it can be found. Now a whole new ballgame is to do your own 3d design work. I have experimented a little bit with Google Sketch-Up and generated RTL files I think it was, but I haven't even begun to get proficient. I think there are several other 3d drawing programs that people are using but can't really begin to be conversant on that. At this point it seems like its better for me to buy 3d and spend more time carving than it is to do the design work starting off not knowing how, but I'm the kind of guy that would rather design my own, so hopefully someday I may be able to. One of my higher priorities as soon as I pay for my Shark HD is to get the Aspire program upgrade which looks like it can do a lot of neat things in the design area using both 2d and 3d. There is always new things to learn but once you get going you can add things to your capability as you need it.

BTW, I'm sure you probably realized it but those were actual simulated carvings in the V-Carve program from the clip art that I found. Imported the bmp, tif, jpeg or what ever format is was in and used the trace function to generate the vectors to carve. Used a 60 degree x 1/4" cutter.

Roger

macl212

Post by macl212 »

Thank you for the great info!!!!!!!

sirden1959

Post by sirden1959 »

You can find alot of military emblems and clip art bye googeling them on google images