Would like to switch to Mach 3

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Glug

Would like to switch to Mach 3

Post by Glug »

I know this has come up before, but I want to ask again.

I want to switch to Mach 3 for a vast number of reasons - compatibility with other tool path software, features, fewer bugs, hardware features, etc. Also, we have a lathe and a mill that we will be CNC converting, and that means Mach 3.

Is there a schedule for Mach 3? What needs to happen for it to happen? This machine has a USB interface.

Thanks!

4DThinker

Re: Would like to switch to Mach 3

Post by 4DThinker »

VCarve Pro itself will be updated to version 7.0 any day now. There should be several of the new 2.5d features added to Aspire added to Vcarve Pro.

You may want to at least wait and check it out. A free trial version will be available.

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

As Far As I Know the Shark controlbox is not compatible with Mach/Artsoft Software.
You are going to need a completely new controlbox.

Cheers
Wolffie

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Its kind of funny , the older sharks once came with Mach3 until the new controller came along.
I understand why you would like to use it as I use it on all my equipment and benefit from the same interface and system on everything.

It can be a bit intimidating to a new user as it has loads and loads of features. I have heard that the new Mach4 is supposed to be close to ready , and will have a less complex entry level package just for cnc routers and mills.

You will most likely have to "jailbreak your shark" and go with a different controller. I do not think Mach3 compatibility is in the cards from NWA. search the forum for past discussions.

I am using Mach3 , to USB Smoothstepper, to Gecko 540 with 36 volt power to larger 400 oz steppers and have no issues at all.
Also running limit and home switches, probe, touch plate, wireless pennant, etc all with no issues. It is a very flexible and open system.
Will even handle automated tool changing (when I get ambitious again).

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

I have just been told there is a plug-in for Mach3 on the NWA website.
Haven't got around to have a look as yet.
Cheers
Wolffie

GullyFoyle

Post by GullyFoyle »

Found this
http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/Downl ... otozip.doc
This machine is not designed to work with fluids. The router is a dry router do not cut with any misting or wet material it may cause a fire. Keep fans intakes clear of material.

A downloadable mach 3 at http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/downloads/

download these two files
Mach3VersionR2.00.06..>
mach3xml.zip

After you download this programs just double click on the Mach3VersionR2.00.06..>
and it will start to install the Mach 3 program.
(note: make sure you have virus programs turned off)

After that is finished installing the mach 3 you can install the Mach 3 config files.
This file mach3xml.zip is a compress files that will open if you double click on it (xp users) one you open this file there is a folder mach3xml got into this folder and you will see about 10 files. You will need to copy over these files to the mach3 folder on the CD on your C drive (c:\Mach3) replacing the ones there. If you get a message replace select Yes. Restart your computer and the Mach 3 program is all ready to go with your CNC machine.

If you have the CNC Shark 13x24 then you just click on the Mach3Mill icon that should have been installed on your desktop. If you are using the CNC Shark 24 x 24 you should click on the Mach3Loader and select the 425motor Configuration.

This version of Mach 3 is the basic(demo) version. This version will run any program to the first 1000 lines of code (that’s a lot for most people). The professional version is $160 and it removes the restriction it can be purchased directly at http://www.artofcnc.ca/. The regular price for Mach 3 Pro is $160 but since you bought a machine from Next Wave Automation you get a $25 discount contact us and we will get a key for your machine. Also buying Mach 3 Pro will give you a key that will work with the new Mach 3 which is currently in beta. Mach 2 has an excellent forum to ask a question at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/ has 3000 members and some one usually answers you within an hour or two.

Post processor is needed to generate the correct GCode for your Mach3CNCShark. The profile for the mach 3 post processor for Bobcad (you can download at http://www.bobcad.com \support) for Vcarve it is installed already with your program.

All CNC equipment takes time to get familiar with please read all instructions before continuing.

This equipment requires wearing of safety equipment and goggles at all times when in operation.