Shark HD3 Z-axis problems

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: sbk, al wolford

Re: Shark HD3 Z-axis problems

Postby dgarvin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks for all of the responses!

I'll be investigating this further in the next few days with all the suggestions. I have found how to view the virtual zero adjusted file and I suspect I can use the ctrl-c/ctrl-v copy and paste to stuff it into a text file.

Are there any free g-code simulators out there that will allow me to visualize the virtual-zero adjusted file?
Dave

"The right tool can be used for just about anything" - Red Green
dgarvin

Postby dgarvin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:00 am

So, just to update what happened...

I did a ton of experiments with using virtual zero, not using virtual zero, manually jogging the spindle around, tramming a spoil board, manually editing the g-code and found absolutely nothing. Everything on the system is working properly: no play in the bearings, all connections are tight with no wiggle, router is (well, almost is) vertical, and there are no chips or other anomalies on the X/Y/Z worms.

I created several tap files to surface an entire board, cut various pockets, and measured the errors in lots of different cases. No problems. I never got around to messing with the post-processor because I wasn't finding issues with the g-code that was coming out.

I finally went and reloaded the same project, with the same board, under the same conditions, with the same tap file, and performed another virtual-zero procedure. I pulled up the adjusted code and reviewed all of the z-height settings and did the manual calculation on several points. Everything looked correct.

I said to myself "Screw it!" and ran the program.

What came out was the most perfectly cut sign I have ever made. No variations in z-height. No problems whatsoever. I spent several weeks chasing a problem that went away on it's own.

There is something in the code for the control panel coupled with the virtual zero that messes things up. I know this is going to pop up again but thanks to all the comments and suggestions here, I know where to go looking when it happens. Thanks again everyone!
Dave

"The right tool can be used for just about anything" - Red Green
dgarvin

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 am

One more afterthought...If it has not already been checked, Is the Z screw drive coupler tight. Is the setscrew seated tight on the flat portion of the shaft? If not, there could be future unwanted movement.
Bob
Bob

Postby jeb2cav » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks for posting a followup. Too often the outcome never makes it here - so you never know. Bob's last comment is a good one as well. I have seen what I call 'free electrons' play a role over the years. In my case, I eliminated all of this with a UPS - primarily for power conditioning aspect vice battery backup.
jeb2cav
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Software. Programming