saving toolpaths

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

drmoutrie

saving toolpaths

Post by drmoutrie »

I am a new user, very unfamiliar with the software and the cnc shark. Upon saving my toolpath, it is saved into an Adobe file. Have no reason why. This did not happen on my first few saves. I am unable to view the toolpath, for editing purposes, but I can run it on the Shark. Any suggestions?
Thanks, David

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: saving toolpaths

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi David,

So, using VCarve Pro you are in the Toolpath tab, and used the Save Toolpath button to write the tap file using the CNCShark-USB... Post Processor.

During this process, you created a file name, and saved it to disk. When you look at the file on disk using Windows Explorer, does it still have the .tap extension (the 3 letters following the file name)?

If you can't see the file extension in Windows Explorer - in Windows Explorer click on Tools, Folder Options. This opens up a window - click on the View tab (along the top), and uncheck the box beside "Hide Extensions for Known File Types".

If you do see the .tap extension on the file, right click on the file and place your mouse over Open With... - and then click on Choose Default Program.

A window will open up and you can set the text editor (notepad for example) that you want to use.

If the .tap extension is present on the file (and it sounds like it is as it is working on the shark), it sounds like somewhere along the line Acrobat decided to be the default opening program - hard to say.

Please let us know if this resolved it - and if it didn't, what did you find with regard to how the file appears on disk (and the extension).