Curved Surface-Scrimshaw

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Stoner

Curved Surface-Scrimshaw

Post by Stoner »

This maybe more of hardware question rather than a software question. I was thinking about doing some scrimshaw on a powder horn using PhotoCarve. The surface of the powder horn has a curved surface. Anyone have any suggestions on how to use PhotoCarve on a curved surface.

Bob

Re: Curved Surface-Scrimshaw

Post by Bob »

Stoner,
This guy seems to be going in about the same direction as you: http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ll#p102562
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Bob I saw that post and that is pretty neat. The image quality on the shell was very good. I wanted to try a powder horn with scrimshaw and use cnc to etch the surface. The machine is a much better artist then I would ever be. Thanks for the response.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Stoner,
Do you have Aspire and the 3D probe?
Bob
"Focus"

Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Bob no I do not have either one at this time. I keep hearing how great Aspire is, but it is not inexpensive. I like your suggestion about using the probe to get the curvature of the horn. That really was my question, could you etch the surface of the horn when the horn is not perfectly flat. I am guessing that you can get the curvature using the probe and have the software engrave on the curvature.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Stoner
Yup, that's my guess too.
But since I don't have Aspire, it's only my guess based upon what I see posted here.
How about it Joe, or anyone using aspire?
Bob
"Focus"

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Requires Aspire, this would be a 3d cut to follow the curve of the horn.

Stoner

Post by Stoner »

I found a spring loaded engraving tool for a cnc machine. Looks interesting wonder if anyone has use one similar to this for engraving on a curved surface. Here is the link:

http://www.2linc.com/engraving_mini_1-4.htm

examples of some curved surface work:

http://www.2linc.com/engraving_examples.htm

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I think you could definitely use a scan probe to model the horn - then bring that model into Aspire and use the apply toolpath to model function to get the carving toolpath applied to the model surface (vice 'flat'). If the horn was somewhat consistent in shape/slope/etc, you might also be able to use the 2 rail sweep to model the horn without scanning to create that model.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

The spring loaded tool looks interesting. I have followed some of the "drag engraving" spring loaded tools that are used to "scratch engrave" much like most jewelers use. It is the same principle but this tool that you posted is actually cutting via a rotary action. Looks like it has good possibilities for what you want to do, but would be quite an experimental learning curve to get the feed rates right for the material you are using. Feed rate might even change depending on how the hardness of the horn varies from one to the other. Only problem is that you may not know that you have a soft or a hard horn until after you try it and find out that it doesn't cut deep enough or cuts too deep. The tool has some very interesting possibilities though..... but dang..... $345 price tag!!

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com