Newb needs all the help I can get

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

stonker

Newb needs all the help I can get

Post by stonker »

I answered a craigslist ad looking for a cnc programer. I program CNC mills using Mastercam in the metal working industry. It turns out this guy purchased a cnc shark with VCarve to tinker around in his garage and admittingly is in over his head. He has had this for some time now and has not cut one chip yet. I offered to help him get it running.

I looked at the sample gcode for the Bulls Head sign and it looks pretty simple. All the code for the engraving for the sign was in linear moves. Is the Shark controller capable of arc moves?

GARYR6

Re: Newb needs all the help I can get

Post by GARYR6 »

Go to the source ie. the software Vectric
www.Vectric.com/forum

stonker

Post by stonker »

GARYR6 wrote:Go to the source ie. the software Vectric
http://www.Vectric.com/forum
Thanks, I registered but have not have the account approved yet. I'm more interested in creating a post processor for Mastercam that will work with the Shark. I need to know what g-codes the Shark will understand. Can I add setup comments at the beginning of the program that won't get read? How can I program arcs? Is the shark capable of helical interpulation? Are there special g-codes to enhance performance? I was hoping to pick the brain of an experienced shark user who understands g-code.

stonker

Post by stonker »

Played with the machine today. I was able to load a program and run some cutter paths but ran into some troubles. About 1/2 the way thru the program it just stopped with no alarms. The stepper moters and lead screws were much noisier then I thought the should be. Rather the start the program over from the beginning I deleted some of the g-code and started the program pretty much where I left off. The program was running fine when the pattern in X started messing up. I programmed the part with XYZ in the center top of the work peice. There were no X moves farther then X-2.2 in the g-code. All of a sudden the machine started cutting outside the programmed area and I hit the pause button on the pc. The X position on the control software was X-2.500ish. What could be happening?

1/4" ball endmill
3D carving bugs bunny face in pick rigid insulation foam
I cut perimeter .5" deep before surfacing
No cutter paths should have went beyond perimeter but they did
The pic was taken before cutter path problem and does not show gouging