Computer and SD card.

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

LAMEIII

Computer and SD card.

Post by LAMEIII »

I am considering the purchase of a shark and have been doing a lot of reading. If I understand correctly the computer is used to develop the file which is then stored on the SD card in the shark for completing the project.
My questions:
1) Must the computer be connected to the shark during the development of the file for the project?
2) Once the file is transferred to the SD card in the shark can the computer then be disconnected or must the computer remain connected during the entire project?

I'm asking these questions because while I have several desktop computers they are tied into a network system in the house and disconnecting them and then reconnecting them is not feasible and I really would hate to buy another computer just for the shark.
Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

LameIII

REG

Re: Computer and SD card.

Post by REG »

LAMEIII wrote:I am considering the purchase of a shark and have been doing a lot of reading. If I understand correctly the computer is used to develop the file which is then stored on the SD card in the shark for completing the project.
My questions:
1) Must the computer be connected to the shark during the development of the file for the project?
To use the Vectric software - no, you do not need to be connected to the Shark Controller.
LAMEIII wrote:2) Once the file is transferred to the SD card in the shark can the computer then be disconnected or must the computer remain connected during the entire project?
The technical aspects of will the controller work once the file is loaded, I would think - no. The computer has the Shark Basic Controller Panel which will display a live running of the code not to mention you get your e-stop. Yes, the file might be loaded onto an SD card but the computer runs the exectutions. You don't need a dedicated computer but you did the ability to regularly connect to the Shark.