add bitmap to text?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DoctorSaul

add bitmap to text?

Post by DoctorSaul »

I've setup a text sign. I want to add a bitmap figure that is a jpeg file to the sign. I can import the figure onto V-Carve Pro where the text is.... however, the jpeg file does not appear as a vector and is ignored when I go to set up my toolpaths. What am I doing wrong?

Saul

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: add bitmap to text?

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Saul,

You're not doing anything "wrong". There is one more step to take to convert that jpg picture to vectors. After importing the picture, select the picture, then go to the Create Vectors part of the toolbar and select the "Fit Vectors to Bitmap" tool. On my UI it is in the second row on the far right.

Because you've selected the image before invoking the tool, the choices will be enabled (not greyed out). You can change some of the settings to get the desired vectors. I've found that in some cases, after generating the vectors, I need to go into the vectors and delete some. Depending on your source picture, you may get some vectors that are really noise from a carving perspective.

You can select all of those vectors, then go to the toolpaths tab and the next steps are as you'd expect.

For what it's worth, one of the Vectric VCarve Pro tutorials covers this particular workflow as well.

DoctorSaul

Post by DoctorSaul »

Thanks, Joe....

I'll try again on Monday or Tuesday when I get some time. Is the tutorial on the Vectric webpage?

Can you mix text and a jpeg picture on the same crv file? I assume that separate toolpaths will be generated. I'm also assuming that where I place the jpeg figure on the V-Carve screen is exactly where it will be carved.... or do I need to measure the place for the jpeg on the workpiece itself, and zero x,y, and z at the zeros for the jpeg on the workpiece itself when I change tools to carve the jpeg figure?

What's clear is that I have lots to learn.

I thank you, Joe, and others, for the help getting me over these learning obstacles.

It's been fun though, learning something new, and even though I'm still on a steep learning curve, I've turned out some really nice carvings/signs. I am motivated to learn as much as I can absorb..... next is to try to understand the how to's and do some inlays with my Shark Pro Plus.

Saul

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Saul,

I'm with you on the learning curve - and also on the nice stuff you can make with this tool.

On the tutorial - I'm away from the house, but I know a number of tutorials are actually on the installation dvd. I don't think they are installed as a part of the program install, you have to go back and do that. I chose to copy them from the dvd to a folder on the hard drive so they were readily accessible, and I knew where they were. Along the same lines, I copied the VCarve Pro reference manual from the dvd to the hard drive. I haven't done a nose count between the tutorials on the dvd and those on the Vectric website - yet. There may be more/less on either.

There is also a lot to be learned just by reading on the Vectric forum. Frankly, the software drives this tool and the work flows are the same regardelss of the brand (barring the possession of a high end CNC machine with a tool changer built in!).

With regard to "mixing" text and a jpg in the same crv file - I think having all of the components of your project in the same crv file is the only sure way to create what you intend. Along those lines, one of the handy features in VCarve is the layer selection (at the bottom of the drawing tab). You can create multiple layers and "place" your picture/vectors/3d model in different layers. Then, you can turn things on or off to make it clearer or easier to see what it is your doing (and also to not inadvertently grab/manipulate/delete things you don't intend to). You can also give each layer a unique color for the vectors in that layer. I am in the habit of creating a layer for the jpg, and a separate layer for the vectors created from the jpg. Once you are satisfied with the vectors created from the jpg for example, it may be less confusing when generating the tool paths if the jpg is disabled from view at that point. Again, the jpg itself will not generate a toolpath. Another use example is if you are creating a recessed area, but will be leaving raised areas to either cut text into or a 3d object into - place the vectors that create the recessed area in a separate layer. You can then disable all other layers and then examine "all" of the recess cut vectors to ensure it makes sense to you from a layout perspective.

Will separate tool paths be generated? - yes if you select the text vector by itself, and generate a tool path, then select the vectors from the result of the jpg/map vector to jpg work flow. However, if you are going to use the same tool for both cuts, and the parameters are the same (for example starting depth and cut depth), then you could select both, then generate a single tool path.

Place the jpg and outcome - in reality, you could place the jpg off of the work piece surface, run the fit vectors to bitmap, select all of those, group them (so that you don't forget to select all of them before you move them), and then move the vectors to the location you desire. If you place the jpg in the exact location you want (includes sizing), and then run the fit vectors to bitmap, you'd have the same result. I have anecdotally found that sizing the jpg to the desired end state, and then running the fit vectors to bmp tool is better than grouping the resulting vectors and resizing them.

Zeros - while you could setup a what I think would be a convoluted workflow with a separate and different zero for the jpg related cuts, I wouldn't do it that way. If you are using a different tool for the "jpg vectors", you should only have to reset/reestablish the z axis zero for the workpiece (all toolpaths generated from the same project/crv) and then run that cut.