importing bitmaps

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kjackswood

importing bitmaps

Post by kjackswood »

Anyone know how to take a clip art file and save it in a way that can be used in the V-carve software?
In order to select the necessary vectors.
-Ken

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: importing bitmaps

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ken,

The general steps are:

1. Import the bitmap for tracing - this is a File Operation in the Drawing Tools.
Import the Bitmap for Tracing Tool
If you go to the Layers tool, you'll find you now have a Bitmap Layer. If you disable that, the picture you imported will be hidden.
2. I am in the habit of either renaming the default Layer 1 or creating a new layer before I run the Fit Vectors to Bitmap tool. I'm also in the habit of giving it a color other than black.
Now I'll follow this with another post as the maximum number of attachments on this forum is 3.
Attachments
Layer Control.png
Bitmap Layer
(5.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bee Vector.png
New Layer
(5.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Continuing from previous post...

4. Next select the picture (click on it) and then select the Fit Vectors to Bitmap Tool.
Fit Vectors to Bitmap Tool
Fit Vectors to Bitmap Tool
You can read about the Fit Vectors to Bitmap Tool - tool choices in the VCarve Pro documentation. This is not installed automatically with the software, but the full pdf file is on the software DVD. I copied this to my computer in a convenient place and use it quite heavily.

This will generate vectors that can then be selected to generate toolpaths. Because they are vectors, you can move them, delete some/all - any vector operation. One thing I've found myself doing is actually deleting some vectors as the detail isn't necessary, and actually results in an outcome with a cutting tool that I don't want, or need.

Remember that the vectors generated by running the Fit Vectors to Bitmap tool will be in whatever layer you have active in the Drawing Tools. So, if you had the Bitmap Layer active, the vectors will also be in the Bitmap Layer. Not a big deal, but it can be confusing when first starting to use VCarve and not recognizing the concept of Layers - so you disable the Bitmap Layer so you can "see" the vectors generated and it all "disappears".

For this discussion, I used a simple graphic of a bee...
bee graphic.png
Bee Source Graphic
(5.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And got these vectors using the default settings in the Fit Vectors to Bitmap tool...
Bee Vector.png
Vectors from Graphic
(5.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hope this is the help you were looking for

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Whoops - these are the vectors obtained from the Fit Vectors to Bitmap tool use...
Vector from BMP File.png
The Real Vectors from Source Graphic!
(1.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

It depends on where you get the clipart file.
Vcarve needs to be able to import the vectors you are using (ie a usable file format).
For instance if you are trying to use word clipart. The normal format is not readable by vcarve.
You would have to load it into a word doc then convert the doc to a pdf by saving it.
Vcave can import pdfs and it will then come right into the Vcarve.

Tim
Last edited by Tim Owens on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kjackswood

Post by kjackswood »

Thank you Joe and Tim,
This is a good forum. Very helpfull

Thanks again.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I have tried to import a bitmap and even saved the drawing as an eps file and i still cannot get vectors on the drawing....AAAHHHHH. Please explain again how to take a simple bit map and get the vectors so the machine to cut the pic. I have played with the pic (It is a pic of cowboy boots) and all I can come up with is the vectors will show to cut some of the fine designs of the boot. I do not want this. All I want is the outline of the boot....

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi,

Are you sure the picture/bitmap is selected - before you click on the Fit Vectors to Bitmap Tool? Click on the pic so that the resizing handles are visible, then click on the Fit Vectors to Bitmap Tool.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Hello there....Yes tried that and made sure the handles were on....no luck,,, now lettering in my sign is missing....This stuff is hard but, I am not this dumb....
Attachments
boots 1 - Copy.jpg
boots I am trying to copy and
(4.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Dash

Post by Dash »

I took the pic and made a simple drawing for cutting by itself and it worked fine. I re-read your earlier posts and downloaded the pdf files you had mentioned. Needless to say I saved the pdf files to my desktop...Very helpful documents!!! I can now understand bitmap layers and how to use them. I know you learned all this the hard way and I and I am sure many others are very thankful you did. You are very helpful and I for one, appreciate it.
David