Shark Control Program and VCarve Pro

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

LAMEIII

Shark Control Program and VCarve Pro

Post by LAMEIII »

Being totally new to CNC I'm having a difficult time understanding the basic way these two programs interact and control the cnc. Can someone give me a layman's explanation of this?

Lame

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Shark Control Program and VCarve Pro

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Lame,

Here's my layman's view -

The software I received with the Shark Pro Plus and their core functions in my workflow:
Shark Pro Plus Software Summary
Shark Pro Plus Software Summary
I like pictures - so the very lowest, most simple, view of the workflow is:
Shark Basic Workflow
Shark Basic Workflow
You use the Vectric software to create the layout, toolpaths, and to save the CNC code to disk. This code - one or more .tap files - is then what you load into the CNC Shark Basic Panel to create the part using the CNC router.

After figuring out some basic stuff - like cutting a simple sign - and having success, I found that my workflow more commonly resembles this:
Shark Common Workflow
Shark Common Workflow
To integrate 3D objects into my project, I used Cut 3D or Vector Art 3D Machinist (free application), to perform 3D tasks (layout, create toolpath, save CNC code), and then bring those into VCarve Pro where I add all the other stuff (borders, letters, pockets, etc.). I also purchased Vectric Photo VCarve as I wanted to do some lithographs.

Hope this helps.

REG

Post by REG »

Lame, I can understand your frustration. I remember my own battle not so long ago about what does what. Joe did a great job of explaining the relationship of the programs but I see you have been doing some in-depth research and it only adds to your confusion.
When you purchase a Shark you need one thing to make the axis move or talk to the Shark controller and that is the Shark Basic Control Panel. Shark Basic Control Panel can operate the Shark with simple movement to the axis so you can do things like get the Shark dead-center to your table just by doing simple jog movements.
Mach 3 is similar to Shark Basic Control Panel in that it controls the operation and loading of the instructions (known as G-code) to the controller box. Mach 3 has a forum where you will find other Shark owners posting their experiences of Mach 3 and the Shark. Mach 3 is more detailed and adds complexity where Shark Basic Control Panel is kept simple.

Basically Shark Control Panel is like the printer driver for your printer.

Now Vectric software is creation software where you create the file you want to carve (print). Both V-Carve and Cut 3D convert files to the format for the controller software (Shark Basic Control Panel or Mach 3) to command the Shark operation.

Cut 3D does not create projects but allows you to work with created projects; in other words, if you have a 3d file you can adjust it in Cut 3d then save the file in the language (post processor) that the Shark Basic Control Panel can understand or open it in V-Carve to work with a layout there.
V-Carve, you can create and adjust files. It is like Microsoft Word, where you create the document and once complete you send to the printer (Shark Basic Control Panel).

This is the simplest analogy I can think of. Joe has provided the step photos that is very helpful as well.

Bobby

LAMEIII

Post by LAMEIII »

Thanks Joe.

This is an excellent overview that really clears things up for me.
I really appreciate your time in putting this together.

Jim