3D (2.5) carving

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

acxsasx

3D (2.5) carving

Post by acxsasx »

While I was reading what Joe was saying how he did the bee designs with Aspire and the probe, it got me thinking about what Aspire can or cannot do for me in regards to doing the 3D designs. A probe is not going to do me any good at this point from a Zaxis perspective as all my designs are on paper. I guess it could help in not having to scan in the designs and such.

I guess what I am really dealing with is having a good 3D program. Right now, I don't have high confidence in what I am using, create in Google Sketchup, Meshlab to convert to dxf, Cut3D to generate tap files. Trying to zoom in on the lines Cut3D generates to see if there are any problems is extremely difficult.

Does Aspire make this easier to see the toolpaths graphically?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: 3D (2.5) carving

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Adam - the ability to view the toolpaths appears to be the same between VCarve and Aspire. However, you can download a fully functional trial version of Aspire and see if it helps your 3D workflow. The project I posted to the showcase did in fact have a probe component - but most of the stuff I'm working on that involves 3D is done using Aspire tools - either from scratch or a combination of exisisting models, cutting and pasting desired pieces from these, and from scratch components. The free aspect of this would enable you to do everything but cut it out. My experience to date shows that what the VCarve and Aspire manual says is true in that - what you see in the 3D preview is what you're going to get.

In my case, I quickly realized that the Cut 3D to VCarve workflow wasn't suitable for my goals, and after proofing it out in the trial of Aspire software, I convinced the boss to make the plunge. She's happy so far...

acxsasx

Re: 3D (2.5) carving

Post by acxsasx »

Good idea on the trial run with Aspire. Will give that a go.