CAM choices for Shark Pro Plus

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

theremin

CAM choices for Shark Pro Plus

Post by theremin »

I have a very specific need in 3D CAM that I can't seem to fulfill with Cut3D, I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help me. What I need to do is cut closed end fret slots in a compound radius fingerboard. What this means in non-lutherie terms is I need to perform the same type of operation that I'd do out of VCarve with a "profile on vector" cut, but with the resulting .1" deep X .023" wide curved along the Z axis, parallel to a conical surface. I model in Rhino.

Is there a good CAM package out there (hopefully not too pricey) that has post processors available for the Shark that would let me control the cuts more like I do in VCarve? Cut3D works fine for what it does, but I don't see any way to allow it to do specific types of cuts to specific vectors.

Thanks,
Dave

Consultingwoodworker

Re: CAM choices for Shark Pro Plus

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I'm no 3D expert, but for a series of slots that curve in Z, I might be tempted to simply alter the g-code manually.

If you have a fixture to hold the neck for slotting, you can simply jog the head to record the slot depths. (essentially a manual scan) with the depths recorded, the Z heights can be altered in the flat program.

The other option is to simply scan the part in using the scanning probe. Not fast, but very accurate.

Ralph

Minitucking

Post by Minitucking »

Dave,
I know Aspire can do this but it cost big $$$ for the hobbyist. I have been playing around with some foamie rc airplanes and they have a forum www.Phlatforum.com that is using sketchup 7 to generate a gcode. I am still very new to the whole process and have yet to try the gcode in the shark to see if will cut right. You have to download the Phlatscript into Sketchup7 then it allows the tools to generate the Gcode. Here is a plugin to produce a fret board and fret layout with sketchup. http://www.guitar-list.com/download-sof ... ard-plugin. That site also has some other plugins for sketchup.

theremin

Post by theremin »

Thanks guys--I think I'll take a look at the Sketchup option. It also appears that Madcam will do it as a Rhino plugin.

Dave

sequax

Post by sequax »

curious is the shark pro plus limited on what sofatware is used for it to work with on?
I am a long term 3d cad user (would say name of software but not certain if allowed), and i now have interest in getting my own cnc router. The shark pro plus looks promising, however.

would like to get more info on unit and if there is limitation (as in cad to g code or cnc programming) on what provides input to unit?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I think you'd have to ask the manufacturer if there are any limitations with regard to g-code inputs. There's no documentation on any limitations or capabilities with regard to the potential list of g-code commands that the controller can digest and act on correctly.

The Shark Pro Plus comes with Vectric's VCarve Pro software. This software is capable of importing dxf and dwg files. You might find that a work flow from your cad program via import to VCarve Pro is optimal in generating the g-code as Vectric has applied some serious machining algorithms to optimize the cnc execution and time it takes to complete. I suspect a g-code export from a cad application does not do this (although if it works and meets your requirements, it doesn't matter). You can download a fully functional trial of VCarve Pro at www.vectric.com and try this if you'd like (you just won't be able to cut anything).

Loading the file onto the Shark is entirely outside of VCarve, so if you can create a valid to Shark control box tap file, you can load it using the Shark Basic Panel.

You could ask Tim Owens directly - towens@nextwaveautomation.com - about any g-code limitations of the Shark control box - and then update the forum on your findings.

I think it is fine to state what software applications you're using on this forum.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

The shark accepts the following.

.tap files
.gc NC files
.dnc deskcnc files
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.