Depth Control

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

aaronoverholser

Depth Control

Post by aaronoverholser »

Ive got another question-

I love the Pro plus got it working great as far as cutting out some lettering and signage. The question is on controlling the depth of the cut. When I draw up what it is that I want, rather it be a part or a sign, I am having trouble getting predictable cutting depths.

For example, I drew a sign with some letters and also imported a picture onto the design. I used the MATERIAL SETUP on the right side of the screen and set my plunge depth at .2". I then made tool paths for the picture and the writing (all in the same tool path). When making the cut, the letters then were cut in about .2" deep, but the drawing got hogged out way deeper than .2". Why is this, doesn't this setting of plunge depth control how deep I want my deepest cut to be made?

Also along this same topping when making through cuts, I need to be able to control the depth very accurately so as to not waste my spoil board with excessive cutting.

Thanks!

Bob

Re: Depth Control

Post by Bob »

If you would be willing to post your crv file that you used, I would like to fiddle with it and see what's happening. (I work better with hands-on than theory)
Or, pm me and email it directly.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

aaronoverholser

Post by aaronoverholser »

Bob the file is to large, how can i get you email? Mine is aaronoverholser@yahoo.com

fison

Post by fison »

Aaron,

Are you setting the "Cut Depth" or "Flat Depth" for each Tool Path to .2 inches? As far as I know there is no global depth setting in VCarve for the depth of cuts. You have to set each tool path separately. It does save the last setting for the type of tool path but just because you set one does not set them all.

The only "Plunge" settings I'm familiar with are "Plunge Rate", "Ramp Plunge Moves", and "Plunge" (on the material setup) none of which anything to do with the depth of your cut into the material.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855