Is it possible to cut simply using the jog feature?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

awdang

Is it possible to cut simply using the jog feature?

Post by awdang »

I'm pretty sure if I plugged the router into the wall and turned it on I could do so but can I turn it on while it's plugged into the controller

FixitMike

Re: Is it possible to cut simply using the jog feature?

Post by FixitMike »

I don't believe the shark controller has any means of turning on the router independently of a toolpath file. I have, however, plugged it into the wall and used the jog function to make sure an alignment board edge was exactly parallel to an axis.

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Yes you can, But be very careful.

That is how I make key hole slots on the back of signs.
I mark the start and end of the slot. Mount it on the machine so the y or X axis is a straight line.
Next I determine how deep to plung the key hole bit and record the depth. You then jog the router to the staring point of the key hole slot, unplug the router from the controller turn it off before you plug it into a powered outlet when every thing is aligned start the router and plunge down to the correct depth then jog the running router in the direction you want the slot to go, when you reach the end point STOP the router and back out of the cut using the jog function.
Remember that the ESTOP will not turn the router off if as it is not connected to the controller. Use caution if you are not comfortable doing this don't do it. Practice jogging around a blank board with the router not running.
Disclaimer: try this at your own risk.

awdang

Post by awdang »

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I've only had my cnc for a couple weeks so I'll wait until I'm a little more confident

TAW

Post by TAW »

DMEYERS, good work around for the key hole tool path....?
Do you not have the key hole gadget in your drop box to use ?A
Also if not- I believe it is free to down load from Vetric web site?
this came with my shark purchase and I did not know it was there.......for about 2 months- very easy to use.. just need to slow down when cutting and I use a 1/4'' end mill to remove most of the material before the key hole bit is run....learned the hard way ;-((