The Aspire Difference

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

The Aspire Difference

Post by bill z »

Seems there is a difference between what I can draw in Aspire and what my CNC Shark can make.

I’m looking for suggestions on how I can cut closer to what I design.

Here are some screen prints where I design some ogee style molding and what can be cut using the G-Code from Aspire using the two rail sweep in the Molding tab.

In the first picture is molding where their are nice sharp creases between the arches. In the second picture, everything is rounded. The reason for the rounding is, I selected a round noes bit that can’t create sharp edges like an end mill. But if I selected an end mill, then everything would be in steps and no rounding.

I can’t figure out how to get Aspire allow me to make 2 or more finishing patterns.

Suggestions please!
Attachments
Molding1.jpg
The Design
(11.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Molding 2.jpg
Finish with ball nose
(11.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Kayvon

Re: The Aspire Difference

Post by Kayvon »

Could you use the round nose to carve it, then come back with an end mill and sharpen in just the arches using a separate profile cut? So molding cut for the round nose, then a normal 2.5-D cut for the end mill. You'd have to do a little math (or trial-and-error with the simulator) to get the correct radius and distance for the end mill.

Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

Bill...
Use the Molding Toolpath. If you select the proper options you will be able to cut the radiused areas with the ballnose and the square corners with an endmill. There is both a good video tutorial and clear instruction in the Help Contents
Gary Campbell
CNC Technology & Training
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Gary's right. I had assumed these were two results already using the molding toolpath, but if you're using the 3d cutting then I'd expect molding toolpath to solve it.