HD4 going rouge on 3d Finish

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jperrier0306

HD4 going rouge on 3d Finish

Post by jperrier0306 »

I am a new user and having trouble. I have created projects using clip art or a file purchased from Vetric. When I run the 3d Finish is always seams to create a defect. Drill a hole where not suppose to, cut a deeper line in the middle of a run, not cut deep enough on a line, etc. Vetric states this is not a software issue and says program is ok. Is anyone else having this isssue and any thoughts on how to correct. I am tired of loosing time and wood on this... Thank you. James

Rando

Re: HD4 going rouge on 3d Finish

Post by Rando »

Well, if it isn't a software issue, then it must be a hardware (reliability, bug) issue. I think the first thing I'd check with strange things like that are loose wiring, either outside or inside the controller box, as well as around the physical machine. Frayed or cracked insulation, brown over-heating marks, that kind of thing. A thorough close inspection may yield some issue like a loose ground connection, or something that would create the random small errors you're seeing.

Also, if I were you, I'd consider working with NextWave to at least **try** replacing the controller.

It's more than a little worrying (to me) the frequency of hearing of these mysterious uncommanded motions.

And, of course, I couldn't possibly be complete without mentioning the old "G64 P0.005" thing, where the Vectric post-processors supplied by NWA have overly-wide path-tolerance settings. Suffice it to say if your GCode (tap) files near the top say "G64 P0.1", that at least should be changed (in the post-processor file), even if that specific item didn't cause the specific issues you're having, that often will prevent other similar issues down the road.

I am all to familiar with that frustration. My machine occupied the dining room table for four months while we sorted through controller hardware issues. Given this was 2 years ago, I can only presume your controller is a newer version/model than the one I have.

One final note: if you're a true NON beginner, if you DO know what you're doing, it's possible to get a cheap set of, e.g., Raspberry Pi, Linux-based (PiBot, etc.) control electronics (maybe $150 or so?) that will have enough electronics and stepper drive capability to completely replace the NWA controller. Doing that will certainly determine whether it's hardware or software, but doing that opens up a whole new set of fun hurdles to lurch over. ;-)

Hope that helps in some way; let's figure this thing out.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

rcrick

Post by rcrick »

Thom
I always test of building foam insulation went testing new patterns. It is cheap and if something goes wrong it is easy on the bits. With that said I have had problems with projects that I have created doing weird stuff and after I dug into the program it was a stray dot or line or something that caused it to happen. So technically it is not a software issue with vectric but what you told it to do. If you upload the program for your project we might be able to help.
Rick

jperrier0306

Post by jperrier0306 »

Thank you for your thoughts. I just purchased the CNC shark HD4 end of last year and received it in Jan. it is less than a month old. I have 2 emails out to NWA already sent them a set of files to review as I have done this with Vetric also. Trying now to download any updates but striking out getting the hand held to recognize the updates on the thumb drive. Guess I know who I am calling Monday...

Rando

Post by Rando »

rcrick wrote:Thom
I always test of building foam insulation went testing new patterns. It is cheap and if something goes wrong it is easy on the bits. With that said I have had problems with projects that I have created doing weird stuff and after I dug into the program it was a stray dot or line or something that caused it to happen. So technically it is not a software issue with vectric but what you told it to do. If you upload the program for your project we might be able to help.
Rick
Ah! Yeah, I'd seen that before too, when doing carving of images. Tiny little defects in the image would get created as equally tiny vectors, that when "select all" was done, were happily added to the toolpaths.

Yuck!
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

egarbe

Post by egarbe »

Have you tried updating the firmware on your HD4?

I had the same problem when I first got my HD4 in November. Once I updated he firmware the problem seems to have gone away. I have even rerun the same tap files that were causing problems and after the firmware update I had no problems.

Ed

wilsond

Post by wilsond »

You might try using a higher setting on the Noise Filter when tracing imported files. This will help eliminate stray vectors (dots or lines) that may not be easily visible on your computer screen.

If you use a flash drive that is too large--more than 16 GB--the pendant may not be able to read it correctly. Try using a flash drive of 16 GB or less to store the update hex files. By the way, be sure to delete the hex files from the flash drive before you use it to store and run tap files. Otherwise, the hex files will try to update your pendant or post processor.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

My two - three cents worth,

I have seen in several instances where stray lines (incomplete vectors) would somehow get included into toolpaths and cause problems. So before creating toolpaths I do a scan by making a box as to highlight all vectors around entire project, right click and choose "select all open vectors". I also do the same for "select all duplicate vectors". This takes a little extra time but it has saved time and wood on cnc carvings.

There has been instances when I have performed the above operations that the defects/problems were not readily visible. I actually had to zoom in and scan over the entire project to find the highlighted defects/problems the vectric program (V-Carve) was identifying as an "open" or "duplicate" vector.

These identified defects/problems if left and were included into a toolpath could very well create stray objects into a carving and in the case of "duplicate" vectors repeat the carve of that vector.

Now in some cases of the fuzzies in lets say soft pine I will sometimes leave or create duplicate vectors so that it will tend to clean-up the majority of those fuzzies so I don't have so much clean-up during my sanding operations.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME Machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554