Cutting Fret Slots

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jtapptech

Cutting Fret Slots

Post by jtapptech »

The picture below shows a guitar neck, the fret slots can either be cut at a 3 mm depth following the 9.5" radius of the fretboard or straight cut the achieves the 3 mm depth at the outer edges with a deeper cut in the center of the fret board.

The second alternative would probably be easier to program? Would different software packages be used for each approach?
Would like to attempt to program this first and then buy a Shark Pro Plus.

Found a bit the cuts the .023 wide slot for typical frets. It has a 1/8" shank. Will 1/8 shank work in the router? (Bosch)
Also need to drill holes for perloid dots. Centered holes vs. 2 dots at the edges: different starting depths based on radius. Need bore depth to be consistent regardless starting point since inlays are thin.

Can this be programmed with or without using the digitizing software and probe?

Which software would be required?

Thanks for any insight.
fret_slot_cutting.jpg
(8.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Cutting Fret Slots

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - with regard to the size of bits - you can get a collet for the Colt that will enable it to hold a 1/8" bit. I use them all the time. I purchased the collets I use from Precise Bits - http://www.precisebits.com - but I'm sure there are other sources out there.

I was waiting for some of the guitar folks to chime in with their experiences. You may also want to look through some posts on the Vectric forum - as well as perhaps posing the question: here's what I want to do (as described in your post). Can I do this with VCarve or do I need Aspire?

If you haven't already, you may want to download the free trials and see if you can get a sense of which one may be best for you. I'm pretty confident you don't need a probe. I think for you to create the guitar neck you desire, that you'll find yourself using Aspire. It has many more true 3D capabilities, creation and editing capabilities, than VCarve. Again, the good news is that you can test drive all of this - short of actually making a cut - using the trial version of both software packages.

Let us know what you determine when you get a chance.

stonker

Post by stonker »

Does the Ø.023 bit have 3mm flt lgth or relieved back 3mm?

jtapptech

Post by jtapptech »

.022 and .023 dia. fret bits at precisebits.com have a max DOC of .09 inches or 2.286 mm (I was just guessing with 3mm depth) -- 3 flute.

I saw the collets for 1/8 shank for use on Bosch Colt at this site.
Have downloaded Aspire, and started viewing tutorials.

Thanks much.