Zero-Point(s) for 2 or 4-sided cutting

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JerryBurks

Zero-Point(s) for 2 or 4-sided cutting

Post by JerryBurks »

Maybe that was brought up before or is in some tutorial but I did not see an answer to this elementary question....

Cut3D allows choosing the zero point at the center or one of the corners of the blank. Pretty obvious for one-sided cutting but when I turn that piece over what do I use as the zero reference for the other side tool path (not to mention the sides)?
Apologize if that is a stupid question but I am new to CNC.

Thanks, JB

JerryBurks

Re: Zero-Point(s) for 2 or 4-sided cutting

Post by JerryBurks »

Never mind.....I figured it out.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

So, could you tell the rest of us - who may not have tried this yet - what the solution is?

JerryBurks

Post by JerryBurks »

If you center the zero-point on the top surface, the zero-point of the back side will also be in the center of that surface, that means the thickness of the board away from the first zero point.
The trick is getting the blank properly positioned again after flipping over. I drilled 2 holes close to the edges on the x-axis into the blank outside the intended part with a V-Carve drilling tool path through to the waste plate and used dowels to get a precise position. That way the blank can be a bit odd shaped and does not need to be an accurate rectangular brick.

Have not tried the 4-sided machining yet but I bet somebody knows a similar trick to get it positioned.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Jerry,

Try the 6 sided cut.

Buc
Attachments
CagedBall.jpg
six side machining
(11.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday