Load error

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JamesEinolf

Load error

Post by JamesEinolf »

I installed the latest software (CNCSharkBasicPanel-1.4.0.8 Scan) and the associated firmware update on my Shark Pro. Now when I try to load a G-Code file, I get an error message that says "load error". Strangely, f I'm trying to load one of the small sample files that come with the software, the error is intermittent. If I load one of my (considerably larger) carving files, I always get the error. I can't go back to the earlier version of the software, because it's no longer available on the Next Wave site.

I have tried the non-scan version of the software (CNCSharkBasicPanel-1.4.0.9), I've swapped out the USB cable, I've tried a different SD card, and I even tried a different computer.

Has anyone else seen this message?

*** Post edited 10/23/10 ***

When I tried the different SD card, I used a 4GB card (because that's what I had). I just bought a new 1GB SD card, and that fixed the problem. Don't know if there's an issue with larger capacity cards, or if the one I tried was the wrong speed or something. Anyway, it looks like "load error" might mean "your SD card has died".
Last edited by JamesEinolf on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spinningwood

Re: Load error

Post by spinningwood »

I'm using the 1.4.0.8 version on a machine with windows XP. I don't have the problem. What operating system are you using?

Ed

JamesEinolf

Post by JamesEinolf »

Windows XP.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

We are working with James to resolve the issue by trying an older software controller on his machine.
The newer controllers 1.4.0.9 have the ability to use high capacity cards which have a faster speed of communication.
We have only seen a load error with a bad card so it might be a Hardware failure of some kind that only showed up with the update and might require a swap out of the controller.

If anyone sees a similar issue contact directly at NWA by clicking on the contactus portion of the CNCShark.com site.

Tim

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Warning Warning Warning ---- Do not load the updated control panel or the probe control panel!!! They are both broken and IT'S NOT AN XP PROBLEM IT'S A PROGRAMMER PROBLEM!!! Anyone who says it's an XP problem is full of themselves!!!! Anyone who says it't because of newer higher capacity cards are full of themselves!!! This software should be beta tested before it's released!!!! Also no error checking in the software, no option to not update the rom, no option to re-install the older version rom. Very amateur software developer who is only interested in selling his next job not completing this job.
If you can't compile, link and debug a simple NcPod PIC then you shouldn't be calling yourself a programmer!!! Just about had enough of this nonsense I have had my machine since last November and had it working acceptably with Mach3 now this update and I can't get work out because the update broke the usb/NcPod communicaion link/routines. The electronics used in the shark are killing a decent product. The electronics are nothing more than a NcPod (off the internet) serial controller running at 12 Mhz converting the G-code over the usb port to a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal to a standard off the internet Xylotex parallel interface. No magic here. I can do the same as the NcPod controler with an Arduino writing the software myself in a very simple language called "Processing" which is open source.
Doc

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

DOC

If you are feeling adventurous you could maybe find what you need to get Mach 3 running again on this page:

http://ncpod.oemtech.com/

I only suggest it because you seem to have enough knowledge to maybe fix your problem without bricking your controller. You have to be your own judge of that though.

Looks like they are looking for beta testers as well. No way I would have anything to do with that, but others may feel more daring.

I'm pretty sure you can revert to previous versions of the shark controller and drivers. The only guy that can help you with that though would likely be Tim Owens, who is currently at the IWF show. He may be checking email at the show so consider shooting him one.

Ed

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Ya Ho!!! the load problem went away with the updated NewWave software dated 08/23/10 the basic control panel now works and loads files OK. They also run well. Thanks to whoever fixed the mess and if you need a beta tester let me know

I am happy again
Doc

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

spinningwood wrote:DOC

If you are feeling adventurous you could maybe find what you need to get Mach 3 running again on this page:

http://ncpod.oemtech.com/

I only suggest it because you seem to have enough knowledge to maybe fix your problem without bricking your controller. You have to be your own judge of that though.

Looks like they are looking for beta testers as well. No way I would have anything to do with that, but others may feel more daring.

I'm pretty sure you can revert to previous versions of the shark controller and drivers. The only guy that can help you with that though would likely be Tim Owens, who is currently at the IWF show. He may be checking email at the show so consider shooting him one.

Ed
Ed;
The new Shark Installer updates the "firmware" to version 60 the NcPod site only has a version 31. The problem is you need to know the make of the controller chip on the NcPod board and set up CodeBlocks (the programming IDE) with their library before you can make changes. It's a lot of work. If you go to http://www.arduino.cc/ you will find out a lot about these PIC chips. They are fun to make Xmas light displays with besides CNC machines etc. I didn't find the part about beta testers if you can point me in the direction I will sign up. Also you can't easily "brick" these PIC's like you can a smart-phone since you can get at the pins for the Jtag interface if need be.

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Doc - I think Tim is probably your best bet then. I had run a pre release version of the shark firmware Tim sent me to deal with some issues I was having with the scan probe. Tim indicated that he could tell me how to flash back to the prior version of the firmware if needed, so it must be doable. I didn't need to do it though so I'm only talking theory here.

Tims email is towens@nextwaveautomation.com if you need it.

Good Luck.

Ed

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Doc - I just looked through my shark files. I have a firmware update for the shark "ncPod Firmware 2059c". This may be the version just prior to what now goes out with the 8/23 udpates (version 59?). I got it from Tim in mid May. If you can't get a timely answer from Tim and you are desperate enough I would be willing to email it to you. Maybe it would solve your current problems. Maybe it would make things worse. Maybe it would do nothing. It's yours if you want it, but you assume all liability for whatever happens.

Ed

Who isn't quite as comfortable with the unbrickability of the controller as you.....