unsupported file error

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

paul wilkinson

unsupported file error

Post by paul wilkinson »

new to cnc made 3 files today tried to run got error : unsupported file any help thanks paul

Bob

Re: unsupported file error

Post by Bob »

Hi Paul,
My first question is, did you try to cut by using your crv file (the drawing you made)?
You need to convert the drawing into a tap (toolpath) file. Then load the tap file into your machine.
Also, are you using the correct post processor?
It's a good idea to try an air cut for your first attempt, if you're real new at this.
If these questions don't make sense...let me know.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

paul wilkinson

Post by paul wilkinson »

thanks bob, the files i did were just type , did several before that were ok, it seems they had a very large kb ,when i deleted them and made them over they were fine. the other issue i have is trying to insert a bit mp in the middle of a line of type, such as a sign saying welc me and putting a line drawing in place of the "o". any thoughts thanks

Rando

Post by Rando »

Paul:

To include the bitmap among text, I typically break the text up into two parts, position them separately with the bit in position among them.
If they are to be fit along a curve, I make two layers, copy the curve and the second part of the text to the second layer, then fit the first and second parts on their respective layers.
Then I'll add the bitmap....actually, I'm more likely to convert it to vectors outside Vectric, but either way will work. Put the bitmap on yet a third layer.

Also, whenever possible, I will look in the Windows Character Map application, under the webdings and wingdings fonts, and see if maybe there's a font-based character
that will do what I'm looking for. But, that's me :twisted:

If the text is just going to be aligned on a straight line, you should be able to do an align-bottom for the chunks of text, then position the bitmap / vectors separately.

Hope that helps,

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Max

Post by Max »

OK my fellow CNC'ers. I need a little help.

I'm a new guy to the CNC world. I recently downloaded some projects from ESTY that were STL File extensions.

I also run Vetric Desktop software on my CNC (NewWave Shark 110).

My CNC (NewWave Shark 110) uses .crv (Drawing) and .tap files (Toolpath) to carve out a project. But I found out that my Vetric Desktop software does not open up the STL File type.

So, my question is can I convert these STL files over to run on the Vetric software for my CNC and if so, how do I do that?

Your advice, expertise, and help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Sincerely,

Max Garcia