shark pro plus router auto on off not working

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tattdbuellguy

shark pro plus router auto on off not working

Post by tattdbuellguy »

Got a new shark pro plus a few weeks ago and read in the description that the bosch colt palm router could be automatically turned on and off at the start and end of a program. I assume the extra outlet in the back of the control box is how this function is controlled, however I cant get the router to power up this way. Turning the router on and off every time manually is getting a little frustrating since I bought the machine so I didnt have to hover over it the whole time it worked. Any one that can shed some light on this issue would be a big help. thanks

CountryWoodCrafts

Re: shark pro plus router auto on off not working

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

I believe it has to do with the download-able update read below. . . here is a link to next wave's website for the update
http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx

CNC Shark Post Processors - USB version

NOTE: To save files on this page click the right button of your mouse when over the file you want to download then select the "Save Target As..." option.

This you need to put in a Vcarve folder so you can make the correct Gcode.

Save it to location

c:\Program Files (x86)\VCarve Pro 5.5\PostP\

The Vcarve folder name might be a bit different (Vcarve Pro 3.1 or VCarvePro 5.5).

Updated post processor for Sharks with Auto On/Off of router (Pro Plus and retrofits)

CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch Vcarve, Aspire and Cut 3D Post Processor (Updated 09/8/2010)

CNCShark-USB_Arcs_mm Vcarve, Aspire and Cut 3D Post Processor (Updated 09/8/2010)

tattdbuellguy

Post by tattdbuellguy »

Still having trouble. Would the cnc shark USB arcs inch post processor show up if it was installed incorrectly? I have been using this post processor when working so far.Tried downloading it again and I keep getting the error message "no data was imported from the dxf/dwg file...do you want to check the files for errors and try again to read the data?" when I press yes it tells me "failed to import data" running windows 7, tried to download it with .net framework 3.5.1 on and off.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - I'm a little confused by your response as it sounds like you went to the Next Wave Automation site, downloaded the post processor files, and then tried to open them in VCarve and got those error messages.

When you setup your Shark, did you run the Firmware Update? Did it report "Success"? If you didn't, or you don't remember if you got the "Success" message, I would run that again.

Make sure you are not running the Shark Basic Panel. Make sure you are connected to the control box via the USB cable, and that the control box is on. Then go to Programs, CNC Shark Basic Panel, and select CNC Shark Firmware Updater.
CNC Shark Program Group
CNC Shark Program Group
I think the firmware has to be updated before the power on/off will work on the control box.

It is a good idea to also use the latest CNC Shark Post Processor files, which are well described in this thread. However, another thread on this topic, with pictures, that may help clarify the steps is - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109

A post that has a lot of additional information to compliment the current CNC Shark manual is - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=260

A good post that provides a quick over view of the work flow with the Shark is - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349

The video tutorials on this forum are very useful, quick to go through, and will help you get kick started in the work flow and use of the Shark. The video tutorials that came with the VCarve - and can also be found on the Vectric web site - are extremely helpful and I'd recommend to any new Shark user to take the small amount of time to go through the VCarve tutorials - you will reap hundreds of hours of useful time by taking only a couple hours up front - as part of getting started. The Vectric tutorials are the most useful I've seen for any software product.

Hope this helps you get past this problem.

tattdbuellguy

Post by tattdbuellguy »

Sorry for the confusion but you did figure out what I was trying to say. I did get a success message on the firmware update when installed everything a few weeks back but I'll give it another try today. I'll post to let you know how I make out. I have gone through the tutorials and I'm finding my way around the machine really well when it comes to completing projects but from a software standpoint they don't offer many solutions if something isn't working the way it's supposed to. As a side note I have vcarve installed on my office pc as well as a laptop, Ive not gotten a chance to get the office pc connected to the machine (waiting on a new cable), however it seems that when I tried to re-download the post processors there I didnt get the same error message. The pc is running windows 7 64 bit and the laptop is windows 7 32 bit. Could this have anything to do with the issues on the laptop?

Re- installed the post processor in the program files folder w/o (x86) for the 32 bit system on the laptop, found that windows was blocking the program for some reason. I unblocked the folder, ran the firmware update again just to make sure and....goose egg. No good what's worse is no matter how many times I try to save the pp in a vcarve folder it will only show up in my downloads folder. Copied and pasted to vcarve with no success. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but from what I can tell from the threads everyone has posted for me Ive done everything as instructed yet when I load a g code and run from SD card the router does not power up...gotta say I'm beyond frustrated

The post processor listed when I save a tool path is cnc shark (USB) arc inches.tap firmware update 2060 was successfully updated. Is it possible my control box is defective? Guess I need to call rockler

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I'd say that if you've had success with the firmware, and everything works - except no power to the router, then call Rockler and get the contact info for the Next Wave Support tech. There may be a fuze inside the control box - I haven't popped mine open to look for that specifically - that controls the plug. It sounds like you are on track as far as the steps.

With regard to Windows 7 and laptops - there have been a number of posts on this from frustrated users. There are also several who haven't run into any problems.

The most likely solution for software issues with Win 7 is to install the software as an administrator. The easiest way to do this is to right click on the exe file, and select "Run as Administrator". You might also try running the program as an administrator - from Programs, navigate to the CNC Shark Basic Panel listing, right click, and select "Run as Administrator".

You might also ping your laptops tech support, and get any "safety"/security settings that the vendor set tweaked down to a more reasonable, yet still safe level. The difference between the laptop and the pc is almost certainly some security settings of some sort. But, I'm not running this OS, so don't have any hands on advice. You can search the forum for this and find several posts that may give you some ideas you haven't thought of. You could also talk about this with the Next Wave tech support when you make the call on the power connection for the router.

If you get solutions to either, please update the thread so others can learn from your experience. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

tattdbuellguy

Post by tattdbuellguy »

ok so heres the deal. There is no fuse inside the control box that controls the router power function, however after speaking with Jim Newman with next wave automations technical support team I learned that my control box was wired incorrectly from the factory. Below is a picture of the router outlet wiring inside the control box. If you are having issues with the router auto power function and software is not the issue, check inside your control box for this. Note the picture below is an example of INCORRECT wiring of the outlet. If your box is wired correctly, the GREEN wire should be on top (ground) the WHITE wire should be to your right (if youre looking at it from the BACK of the control box) and the BLACK wire should be on your left. If you find that there is some other configuration besides the one listed above you should contact Jim Newman at next wave automation (419)491-4520 or email support@nextwaveautomation.com. Jim was a big help and talked me through re-wiring the outlet over the phone. If you think thats out of the scope of what you can do you can send the box back and have them do it. Once I got the outlet wired correctly the auto power function on my shark works like a champ (go figure...who would have thought it needed to be wired a certain way lol) no beef with next wave mistakes happen, just happy to have my machine running right. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me get this straightened out.
incorrect wiring for router outlet
incorrect wiring for router outlet

Jamesn1300

Post by Jamesn1300 »

I also had the exact same issue.

I opened the control box expecting to see a loose connection on the SSR (Solid State Relay) or something like that.. was really suprised to see the outlet mis-wired!

10 minutes and I was up and running. I considered it a fluke (not the meter :)) but now I see I should have brought it to the attention of NextWave...
James