carvng letters

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mcharles

carvng letters

Post by mcharles »

I'm very new to this...my first sign turned out great. I went to design a second one and I can't figure out how to tell the program to carve the letter out rather then the back ground. I'm sure it's simple and I thought that I read about it some were but I just can't figure it out...help some one please

Bob

Re: carvng letters

Post by Bob »

If I'm understanding you correctly, then you are right, the solution is actually very easy.
I think that you must have a border of some kind around the letters of the first sign. If you highlighted this border as one of the parts you wanted as a tool path, the letters will be raised with the background lower. The solution...Don't select the border wnen you want to calculate tool paths. All the letters will then be carved out instead of the background. Run the simulation first to see how it will look.
And if you want that border, you will need to design it so that there are two sets of lines representing it not just a single line. When VCarve calculates tool paths it removes material between the lines. If you only have a border made from one line and you select all lines, VCarve will remove material starting from the border and end at the outer edge of the letters.(Like your first sign?)
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)