Solidworks postprocessor

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JRD777

Solidworks postprocessor

Post by JRD777 »

We design speaker cabinets and use Soildworks 2022 as our CAD platform. We recently purchased a HD510 for prototyping changes and new ideas..

My work flow:
- Design in SW2022,
- output a .dxf or .stl,
- import into Vcarve desktop (for now),
- create tool paths,
- save...
- use the USB port and run individual .tap files...

Works great for most of our 2.5D requirements... but is clunky. We have some new requirements that require 3D cutting... I'm close to success using .stl files and Vcarve... But to save a few steps I was hoping I could somehow "go" from Solidworks CAM to a .tap file for our HD510... I poked around trying to determine if there is a SWCAM Post Processor for our NextWave HD510. Can't find...

Suggestions? I can't be the only person who has attempted this. :)

JRD777

Re: Solidworks postprocessor

Post by JRD777 »

I guess it is ok to answer my own question... I sent a similar inquiry to NextWave. "Jay from Support" :) provided a very thorough answer:

"The Next Wave CNC HD controllers with LCD Pendant are compatible with a myriad of GCode commands based on GRBL, however, it is not compatible with all GCode commands. The information listed below are the known compatible GCode commands that we currently use in conjunction with Vectric's VCarve and Aspire software. Next Wave CNC does not have post processors available for other CAD/CAM software such as Fusion 360, Rhino CAD, BobCad, Auto-Desk, and Solid Works to name a few. Please also see the links below for Vectric's Post Processor Editing Guide, a list of the current Next Wave CNC Post Processors for VCarve and Aspire, as well as an attached example file of GCode generated through the VCarve design software. Next Wave CNC is not able to support or assist with building custom GCode or post-processor for other CAD/CAM software. We hope the information provided here can provide a starting point if you choose to use another CAD/CAM software."

https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V10.5/Asp ... index.html
https://nextwaveautomation.zendesk.com/ ... processors

No complaints... it is a great prototyping solution for sub $5k :shock: