VCarve Pro 3D Modeling rough edges

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KathyGetto

VCarve Pro 3D Modeling rough edges

Post by KathyGetto »

We are trying to 3D carve a shallow bowl from an imported STL file.

Main issue is that the outside carving on the bottom up towards the top is rough.

After trying on one bowl which was created a tall edge of very rough carve, we adjusted the limit planes to their maximum height which creates a very narrow band of rough edge.

Here's a preview of the carving in VCarve Pro.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CMqido ... 6nokZ/edit

Is there a way to carve the sides smoother up to the bowl's rim?

PS I'm the computer geek, and my husband is the wood geek. My next step is to tell him to just sand a bit! :-)

NewAgent45

Re: VCarve Pro 3D Modeling rough edges

Post by NewAgent45 »

Kathy,
I’m no expert! But I see no one has replied. It would also help to provide more details. From your picture I assume that you are machining two sided. It is imperative that when you flip the material over that you maintain the mirror image location. I also assume this is occurring when you are cutting the material completely out except for tabs. From your picture it looks like you did add tabs. It appears that you cut through in a single pass. Review your toolpath for your cut out profile. You can review it by right=clicking the cutout profile and selecting edit. Then look at the number of passes. If it is not displayed you need to check the box “Show advanced……..”. You can select Edit in the tool section to edit the “pass depth” value. Decreasing it will increase the number of passes and lower the chip loading for the bit your using. Assuming the material is clamped down good, it looks like the bit is chattering do-to high loading. Was there a lot of vibration when you ran this? I also would like to know what size and type bit are you using.
I’m not a machinist! They could give you a better technical explanation.
I Hope this helps!
……… Rod