Looking At Different Machines, Looking For Your Opinions

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Stoner

Looking At Different Machines, Looking For Your Opinions

Post by Stoner »

I have been looking at CNC machines for carving and wood working for some time. I started out looking at the CarveWright machine to begin with. Then I read about the numbers of owners that were not satisfied with their machine. I also questioned the capabilities of the machine for the type of projects I would be using it for. Then I started looking at the Shark CNC machine and was a little concern about the size of the router they use in their machines (Bosch Colt VS Palm Router). Then I found out if you go with the larger Shark CNC Pro you had a choice of bigger routers. I was a little concern about the construction of the Shark CNC Pro (a lot of plastic in it’s construction. I then was looking at the Shopbot Desktop and it looks interesting. You will note the longer I look the price of the machines that I am looking at get more and more expensive. The cutting area on the Shark CNC Pro is larger (25” x 25”) then the Shopbot Desktop (24” x 18”). The Shark CNC Pro and Shopbot Desktop come with basically the same software (VCarve Pro and the Partworks, both sold by Ventrics). Of these two machines it appears that the Shopbot Desktop is a sturdier machine. Then after all this I started looking at the Shopbot Buddy 32. Appears to be a nice machine with a larger cutting area (24” x 32”) and a good software package comes with the machine (Partworks). Today I remembered looking at the CaMaster Stinger Machine awhile back. Still doing research on the Stinger. It comes with the router included in the price unless to go with a larger router or spindle. The construction of the Stinger is all steel and appears to be heavy-duty. I would say the construction appears to be comparable to the Shopbot machines. The cutting area on the Stinger is 25” x 36”. The Stinger is priced less than the Shopbot Buddy by a pretty good margin. However, it appears that you maybe have to get a better software package to use with the Stinger to get the full capabilities out of the machine. Below is the different base prices for each machine.
Shark CNC Pro (without the router) $3,799.99
Shopbot Desktop (without the router) $4,995.00

Shopbot Buddy bt32 (without the router) $7,195.00
CaMaster Stinger (includes router) $6,395.00

Just putting my thoughts together on what I have found in the size machines that I am looking at. I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks

Wolffie1

Re: Looking At Different Machines, Looking For Your Opinions

Post by Wolffie1 »

Hi Stoner
Since this board belongs to Rockler and is for Shark machine owners, you will obviously be hard put to get an unbiased answer here.
You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Stands to reason Aya?

Try CNC Zone or Vectric instead, they are independent..

Cheers
Wolffie

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Stoner,

I think you're performing the same kinds of assessments that many of us did before purchase. I haven't looked at other machines closely enough the last 6 months to comment though. I have used a Shark ProPlus and an HD and both far exceeded my expectation for the cost (both times I looked, I went with the Shark). Both have warts that I knew about ahead of time from reading through this forum. I know there is a strong ShopBot community as well - I can't speak to the others. With regard to the software - I don't know that you can beat the Vectric software. One thing you may consider asking for is a user trial of the 'other' software. You can download and try out fully functional versions of VCarve Pro (this is what the Shark is bundled with) and Aspire (upgrade cost associated with this) from www.vectric.com. At that point, what you see is what you can carve - at least that is my experience.

Some other posts that are Shark centric that may be of value to you are:

http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 985#p10721
http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 607#p10607
http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2166
http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 790#p11790

If and when I'm ready to spend more than 10K for a cnc machine, it'll be either a ShopBot or CamMaster - but I'll keep using the Vectric software (probably - although I've been told that ArtCam is pretty nice as well).

Hope that helps some - otherwise not biased per se - don't know enough at this point in time and when I did make a decision, I bought a Shark. If that makes me biased, there you go...

Good luck and Merry Christmas

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

One thing I like about the Sharks, and Next Wave Automation in particular, is that they are a quickly improving/evolving Product/Company. I started with the Shark Pro (24x24 MDF bed, separate power supply with the controller box) and now have a HD 2.0 to use at work. Since I bought my Pro they have added a scanning probe, and then a Touch Plate that uses the same port. They've added router control to the controller box, along with an E-Stop and 4th-axis port for whenever one shows up. When a user came up with a dust boot it wasn't too long before one could be bought from Rockler for everyone's Shark. The bed moved from two T-slot MDF to aluminum T-Slot across the entire bed. There are still some areas the new Sharks could be improved (like the router clamp), but I suspect once a proven and reasonably priced solution shows up they will incorporate it into the line from that point on. With Rockler as their retail outlet you can also expect the occasional sale/bundle for parts and accessories.

baby15

Post by baby15 »

Stoner wrote:I have been looking at CNC machines for carving and wood working for some time. I started out looking at the CarveWright machine to begin with. Then I read about the numbers of owners that were not satisfied with their machine. I also questioned the capabilities of the machine for the type of projects I would be using it for. Then I started looking at the Shark CNC machine and was a little concern about the size of the router they use in their machines (Bosch Colt VS Palm Router). Then I found out if you go with the larger Shark CNC Pro you had a choice of bigger routers. I was a little concern about the construction of the Shark CNC Pro (a lot of plastic in it’s construction. I then was looking at the Shopbot Desktop and it looks interesting. You will note the longer I look the price of the machines that I am looking at get more and more expensive. The cutting area on the Shark CNC Pro is larger (25” x 25”) then the Shopbot Desktop (24” x 18”). The Shark CNC Pro and Shopbot Desktop come with basically the same software (VCarve Pro and the Partworks, both sold by Ventrics). Of these two machines it appears that the Shopbot Desktop is a sturdier machine. Then after all this I started looking at the Shopbot Buddy 32. Appears to be a nice machine with a larger cutting area (24” x 32”) and a good software package comes with the machine (Partworks). Today I remembered looking at the CaMaster Stinger Machine awhile back. Still doing research on the Stinger. It comes with the router included in the price unless to go with a larger router or spindle. The construction of the Stinger is all steel and appears to be heavy-duty. I would say the construction appears to be comparable to the Shopbot machines. The cutting area on the Stinger is 25” x 36”. The Stinger is priced less than the Shopbot Buddy by a pretty good margin. However, it appears that you maybe have to get a better software package to use with the Stinger to get the full capabilities out of the machine. Below is the different base prices for each machine.
Shark CNC Pro (without the router) $3,799.99
Shopbot Desktop (without the router) $4,995.00

Shopbot Buddy bt32 (without the router) $7,195.00
CaMaster Stinger (includes router) $6,395.00
check out the new rack an pinion cnc. you can build your own for 6000.00 but you still need software
Just putting my thoughts together on what I have found in the size machines that I am looking at. I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Stoner,

While its true that this is a Rockler owened/Next Wave back forum on the Next Wave products (Shark line), I think quite frankly you will get honest responses, however limited they may be.... keeping in mind these are typically the people that decided on the Shark and still using it. If someone dumped their Shark because they were disgusted with it, they are probably no longer here on the forum, by choice, and likely won't see your post. I started several years ago with the CarveWright and loved it for a while and the price tag was nicer, but quickly got discouraged that it was so hard to "keep tuned" and did a lousy job going back and forth on the belts. Had good success carving one way, but when you tried to do edge routing, the design was very poor and critical on belt tension adjustments. And from what I remember, V Carving was pretty much out (but can't remember for sure) When mine trashed a set of belts I bought new belts and never did get it going again. I came up on the Shark and looked briefly at some of its competitor, most were a good deal higher at the time and some about the same design so I decided to go with the Pro Plus HD model. Very lucky on my part in that it did away with many of the flex issues that the earlier models had, although it still has some flaws. Software is what it is. Vectric is very good, VCarve is nice and capable, Aspire is very nice and highly desirable ($1300 upgrade... and well worth it) All in all its a low to mid line entry into CNC. Sure, you can get much better but you can also be looking at $10-$20K without even trying, and in a dream state, $50k, which all of the latter were not even an option for me. In fact the $3999 for the Shark HD has made my wallet convulse for quite some time, but I think I made a solid choice that I can live with. Spending less didn't work and spending more wasn't an option. All that said, I would cross off the Pro Plus from you list and substitute the Pro Plus HD or the new Mako (basically an enhanced and improved HD) for slightly more money but very much worth the additional few dollars you are talking about. There are always complaints on anything that you might get but all in all its a good solid machine and when you learn to use it you can do some awesome work with it. I'm still learning, but I'm also enjoying it.

BTW, should you decide to try the CarveWright, let me know, I would make you a heck of a deal on one that needs a little bit of tune up work done on it. :) Even have a brand new scan probe that never was taken out of the box.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com