New Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition Shark

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ejcasey3

New Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition Shark

Post by ejcasey3 »

Greetings,

Just when I have my wife convinced I need a new toy and I've set enough aside, a new toy shows up. This morning Rockler added a new Shark to the line up - a 60th Anniversary Edition. Spec wise it appears to be the HD2 with a few minor changes (depending where you look at specs) with the Black Diamond accessory package. Table is brown vice black.

I'd been leaning toward (and saving for) the HD and liked the Diamond package but hadn't saved enough at that point. I am also leaning toward the Piranha but I want the better software, so that adds to the Piranha costs significantly to the point it seems its main advantage is size.

Anyone see anything with the 60th Anniversary edition other than accessories that makes it different from the HD2? This would probably be a no brainer if the 4th axis was available so I'd have an upgrade path to save for. :)

Thanks.

Ed in sunny Tucson.

4DThinker

Re: New Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition Shark

Post by 4DThinker »

A close look at the photos, and the anniversary machine doesn't appear to be using the new interlocking t-track. The back plate of the gantry appears to be aluminum rather than the plastic used in previous models. That may be a significant improvement. I can't verify either, and the photos may be of a prototype rather than the shipping version. I'd give them a call and verify.

ejcasey3

Post by ejcasey3 »

From the pictures, the track looks different. Smaller sections with 2 slots per section vice 3 on the HD. Going to have to wait for a few more pictures. :)

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Yes there are several changes. There is the New interlocking table design. Rockler picture was taken last June when it wasn't available. I will let them know to update the picture.
besides all of the extras with this machine we have add more aluminum to the machine overall. The changes are for our new 2hp liquid spindle and we are actually machining a lot of aluminum with these machines.
The gantry back is solid aluminum. The cradle is now detachable and had a aluminum back plate on it for other attachments or for easily turning the router around in 90 deg increments. The new interlocking top are the big changes with this version.
Attachments
New interlock top
New interlock top

REG

Post by REG »

And now has a double clamp on the router! A better choke hold.

I like that table. Any chance it is available as a part item upgrade/retrofit for current line-up Sharks?
Looks like everything on the anniversary model that have been improved are things older models have been having problems with; flexing gantry, flexing table, slipping router........

Gettin there, one model at a time. :mrgreen:

Bobby

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

We can provide the table for sale but it will be the aluminum color not the Copper.
That is a Rockler only limited sale item.

REG

Post by REG »

That would be fine with me.
So, do I call the office for pricing and ordering?

Thanks!

Bobby

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Just call them tomorrow . 419-318-4822

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

ejcasey3

Post by ejcasey3 »

Tim,

So given the new Rockler, can we expect a new NWA HD 3 this Fall? Looks like significant improvements over the HD 2.

Any word on the 4th axis?

Thanks.

Ed

Crazy_One

Post by Crazy_One »

Is the goal of the interlocking to eliminate the table flexing during certain clamping configurations?

I am looking at the HD extended myself. 2'x2' is too small for me, I would like 4'x4' but 2x4 will work.

Bryan
May have to run back down to Cinci and look at the anniversary one they had on display again......