Selling our HD3 - Need input on Axiom vs Camaster Stinger

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

xoneeleven

Selling our HD3 - Need input on Axiom vs Camaster Stinger

Post by xoneeleven »

Hello All,

We are selling our CNC Shark HD3 Extended Bed, and are looking at two other company's products.

Axiom Pro or Elite
and
Camaster Stinger 1 or Stinger 2

Do any of you have any experience with these machines, and, do any of you have any thoughts on these machines, even if you do not have any hands on with them?

We need to weigh the pros and cons of each machine series. Why would you choose one over the other? Obviously money is always in question and everyone always go for the most expensive.
However, we are looking for the bang for the buck, and accuracy & reliability are the main things we are looking for.

Thanks...

Mark
Mark
CNC Shark HD3

SteveM

Re: Selling our HD3 - Need input on Axiom vs Camaster Stinge

Post by SteveM »

I returned my HD4 and bought the Axiom AR4. I have no regrets in that decision.
The Axiom is way more machine than the Shark! No flex in the gantry, faster cutting speeds, runs better and has a pendant controller that actually works.
I have been using the Axiom for 3 months now. It has not failed even once and I have cut out more than 250 parts without a problem.
I never was able to keep the HD4 running long enough to even cut out 3-5 pieces before something went wrong.
The Camaster is a fantastic machine also, but I simply couldn't the extra money. If I had the funds, I would go with the Stinger I, but that is just me!
When cutting out pieces, I am usually running it at 150 to 200 ipm and it has never failed.
I don't know if the Shark can actually cut that fast!

I actually liked the HD4 and if it wasn't always breaking down, I would probably still have it.
Rockler was kind enough to take it back and I bought the Axiom thru them.
If you got a Axiom, you won't be making a mistake!
That being said, the Camaster is even a more heavy duty machine that the Axiom! It just depends what you will be using the machine for.

xoneeleven

Post by xoneeleven »

Thanks for the input, Steve!
The info you provided was very good.
Unfortunately, you just made it harder to decide!

:D
Mark
CNC Shark HD3

xoneeleven

Post by xoneeleven »

I do have another question about router vs spindle...

Are the spindles more accurate than the routers?
I have a Dewalt 618 router and it has been a great machine for the CNC.
I know people love the spindles, but are they really that much better for cutting wood and plastics?

Mark
Mark
CNC Shark HD3

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have the AR4 which runs with a router. If I had the extra money, I would have bought the AR4 Pro which comes with a 3 h.p. Spindle.
The spindle is better than a router. It's very quiet, but when running the router bit cutting the wood actually makes the noise.
My shop is in my garage and when I'm cutting something and am standing about 40 feet from the garage door, I only hear the router bit noise and not the actual spindle.
The spindle is still in my opinion worth the extra money. It will last longer than a router, stays cooler, because it's being cooled with water if you get a water cooled spindle and also has much more power than a router.
For now, I am sticking with the router, but I will eventually get a spindle for the machine.
The Camaster Stinger I is a nice machine, but if you want one with a spindle, it's about $1600 or higher, depending on which one you get. The machine comes with a 3 h.p. Milwaukee or Porter Cable router. I run a Bosch 1617EVS and can tell you the Bosch doesn't make anywhere near the noise of the routers they offer in the basic setup.
I do use good quality hearing protection when I run my CNC, table saw and planer. That in my opinion is a must. If I had the spindle, I would still wear hearing protection.
The Axiom is about $1,000 more for the AR4, AR6 and AR9 Pro models and worth every penny.

I still must say that if my HD4 Shark didn't keep breaking down every time I used it, I would still have it.
Rockler is a great woodworking store, they sell both the Shark and Axiom products. If you want the Camaster, you will have to buy direct.
If you get the Axiom, I would go the way I did and buy it from Rockler.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I own a basic CNC Shark and haven't had any major problems with it. It's been a superb hobby machine. Looking over the Axiom page just gave me CNC envy. How's the positional accuracy compare between the Axiom and the Shark?

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

All I can say is with the Axiom, I cut 56 parts out in 2 days and they were all exactly the same. The machine is very accurate!
When I had the HD4, I tried cutting 5 pieces out and the cuts were no where near as clean. I do think the reason is caused by the flex of the gantry and router mount. With the Axiom, there isn't any flex anywhere.

xoneeleven

Post by xoneeleven »

We just ordered the Camaster Stinger 3 with a few options.

After talking to them about the machine, it literally met almost all of our requirements.

The Stinger gets pretty pricey, pretty quick, but we managed to fit a custom machine into our budget. (barely)

Anyway... I put our CNC Shark HD3 with Extended bed up for sale.

Has anyone here ever tried the laser engraving attachment for the Shark? I have looked all over the place, but could not find any specs.
The laser might be worth keeping the Shark, but not worth buying, if there are no specs for the laser available.
Mark
CNC Shark HD3

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The laser is only a 2.5 watt unit. It works, but barely. I watched them demo it at my Rockler store. I really wasn't impressed.
Selling the Shark with the laser may make for a faster sale.