Spindle vs Router

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Toucangary

Spindle vs Router

Post by Toucangary »

I have been wanting to try CNC. I have read there are two types, spindle vs a router mounted on the CNC machine.
Most of the articles say the spindle is the way to go.

Would like to here from others on which method they like and why?
Pros vs Cons of each type.

When I dive into the CNC world. I do not want to get the cheapest machine out there. Maybe mid-range set up until I get my feet wet.
I am looking at the HD500 vs HD510, it looks like the difference is just the size of the table. Is that correct?

Are there any features or model upgrades that I should be looking for when choosing a CNC machine?

Any input into choosing between models and features would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Rut Row

Re: Spindle vs Router

Post by Rut Row »

Toucangary wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:53 am
I have been wanting to try CNC. I have read there are two types, spindle vs a router mounted on the CNC machine.
Most of the articles say the spindle is the way to go.

Would like to here from others on which method they like and why?
Pros vs Cons of each type.

When I dive into the CNC world. I do not want to get the cheapest machine out there. Maybe mid-range set up until I get my feet wet.
I am looking at the HD500 vs HD510, it looks like the difference is just the size of the table. Is that correct?

Are there any features or model upgrades that I should be looking for when choosing a CNC machine?

Any input into choosing between models and features would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
the difference between the 510 and 500 is table size. If you buy a new 510 now you can get a free 2HP spindle.

Routers wear out the brushes. They weren't designed to run as long as they do when mounted to a CNC. Spindles were designed for CNC. Also spindles are quieter.

cbhelms655

Post by cbhelms655 »

I have the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD for sale, it will cut a 25X25X7". I upgraded to the HD 520 last year, I upgraded the gantry from the plastic to the Aluminum and that made a big difference to all the cuts. Where are you from? I am in Charlotte, NC if you are close by I can give you information about the machine. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Colin Helms

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

The Shark HD500 series is the top of the line. The machines are more substantial. This means that there is less deflection during cuts. I had a Shark Pro Plus for many years. During that time, I updated to the HD4 controller and pendant, adding $500 to the cost. My best advice is to buy the best machine you can afford. A free 2hp spindle is offered as a promotion from time to time. The spindle is designed to run for long periods of time without overheating as it is water cooled. The HD 510 machine comes with VCarve Desktop which has some limitations. You can upgrade to VCarve Pro for the difference between 699 and 399 directly from Vectric.

Consider what projects you plan to do. If you are considering 3D modeling you'll need Aspire in order to get the 3D modeling features of Vectric. If all you are doing is Cutting out flat stock and simple 3D carvings (based on clipart) VCarve will probably meet your needs.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

Rich V

for sale spindle

Post by Rich V »

I just upgraded to a 3hp water cooled spindle. I have 2hp water cooled spindle with the vfd, pump, hoses & 80mm router bracket for sale $250.00. Anyone interested can contact on this forum or my email rvierling57@gmail.com

mtlakejim

Post by mtlakejim »

We started out using Bosch 1617 routers in our CNCs. But it was very hard on them. Have since switched to water cooled spindles. The difference is night and day. More power, quieter and designed to run for hours at a time.

I am hoping we will see someone develop an 88mm diameter motor to fit all the ROUTER tables in the universe!! I have a Shark RS 1000 pro system but have to run the Bosch motor. Sure, would be nice if there was a dedicated water-cooled motor available that would fit that lift!!!!

cbrosin

Post by cbrosin »

Agreed