Half-Blind dovetail drawers

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
JoDy

Half-Blind dovetail drawers

Post by JoDy »

I have a few upcoming reno projects to do which are going to need drawers. I want to use ½ blind dovetail joints for them so I did a quick search on the forum and didn’t find too much. I set out to recreate what my Rockler dovetail jig creates. I did not want to modify my table so all cuts were done with horizontal table top cuts. I made a set of 18” by 18” by 9” high drawers from ½” spruce for the shop. Here is what I came up with.
Attachments
Unfinished drawer
Unfinished drawer
Joints
Joints

WoodEraser

Re: Half-Blind dovetail drawers

Post by WoodEraser »

Looks goods.
What software did you use?
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

JoDy

Post by JoDy »

I modelled the tails in Alibre Design and then imported the .stl file into 3D cut. I then imported the finishing toolpath into V-Carve 6.5 and created my own rough pocket toolpath.
The sockets were created in V-Carve 6.5 as keyhole paths.

BillK

Post by BillK »

This may not have come up when you did your search, but here's how I've done some joints. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1869
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

JoDy

Post by JoDy »

Yes I saw that, that is the ideal way to go. I'm not in a position to make modifications to the machine at this time so I made a simple jig and cut the joints on a stock machine.

Bob

Post by Bob »

JoDy wrote:I have a few upcoming reno projects to do which are going to need drawers. I want to use ½ blind dovetail joints for them so I did a quick search on the forum and didn’t find too much. I set out to recreate what my Rockler dovetail jig creates. I did not want to modify my table so all cuts were done with horizontal table top cuts. I made a set of 18” by 18” by 9” high drawers from ½” spruce for the shop. Here is what I came up with.
JoDy,
Nice work!
I'm trying to see how you cut these on an unmodified Shark. It's making my head hurt.
Would you be willing to describe how you did this. Pictures too?
I have done Shark tails by using a separate third piece to connect two corners. I am just not seeing how it is done using only the two pieces.
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

BillK

Post by BillK »

I can using a dovetail cutter and a keyhole path to make the pins (sockets) and then 3D carving the tails to match. Probably takes a long time to carve and program (3D design) compared to the horizontal method but it's an excellent solution to the problem in the vertical mode.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

JoDy
Stop teasing us and show your vectors, PLEASE :D
Cheers
Wolffie

JoDy

Post by JoDy »

I'm in the process of writing a How-to-file and I will post the files to cut a 6" inch drawer shortly.

JoDy

Post by JoDy »

This is my first attempt at uploading a project and I keep getting a "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" when I try to attach the files. I'm not sure what I've done or need to do.