Adding Home limit switches

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

nlukeking

Adding Home limit switches

Post by nlukeking »

Hi everybody.

I've recently got one of these cool machines.
Although new to cnc routing, I run a 3D printing and design business. So, I have a load of 3D printers, all of which use a limit switch to Home.

I was surprised to find that this machine didn't. Yes, I understand that you set Home each time you start it up.

I've searched the forum and there's a lot of talk in years past about it. But, no solutions or examples of people doing it.

Has anyone done this using the current electronics? Or switched out boards/drivers to achieve it?

Thank you.

Nathan King
Print Design 3D
Adelaide, Australia

tonydude

Re: Adding Home limit switches

Post by tonydude »

Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

nlukeking

Post by nlukeking »

This link is useful if you have a pendant. And if your machine is pendant capable. And is one of the listed applicable models.

But, thanks for trying.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

The software doesn't support limit switches, so you'll need to roll your own custom solution if you want to get around that. That's what I ended up doing for making my own touch plate. I created a USB dongle that appears to the computer as a keyboard. When you hold the button, it steadily moves the gantry down until it sees continuity through the touch plate. Details here: http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=6468

That same concept would easily work for homing switches, too. Instead of continuity through the touch plate, you'd look for it through the homing switches. Then zero out the X and Y in the software and you've got a way to reliably home to the same 0,0 with every project.